Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

NJ will requires 2 witnesses ...
Posted by BobbiCT of CT on 3/21/19 7:19am Msg #604563
NOT an attorney and not familiar with specific NJ will executions, but I think you should call the Surrogate Court (aka Probate Court).

Will executions in New Jersey require TWO witnesses, who can appear before the notary. For example, in CT two witnesses sign that they saw the will signed and THEN the notary takes sworn statements from each witness that s/he saw the testator sign the will - a "self-proving affidavit" so that the witnesses do not have to appear at the Probate Court when the Will is admitted after the signer's death, swearing "... on May 1, 1998, I saw Joe Smith sign this will and that is my signature."

My GUESS, only because you state "NJ is not a witness state," is that you need to appear at the Court to swear that you witnessed the signing of her dad's will; i.e., a "witness proof" because the will execution section wasn't completed completely.

NOT a criticism; these things happen often with DIY wills and trusts where the person making the request doesn't read the execution instructions ... and didn't hand them to the notary for review, as well. I ALWAYS ask if the signer will have 2 witnesses available; reply, "Oh, I need witnesses?" The person rarely looks at the notarization page that clearly shows a space to enter the names of two witnesses (too much legal stuff) and "left that page to you, because you're the notary and know what to do." At least in your case it was recent.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Interesting Call Today. -  walthtz on 3/20/19 3:47pm
 Re: Interesting Call Today. - Art_FL on 3/20/19 4:19pm
 Re: Interesting Call Today. -  JanetK_CA on 3/20/19 5:10pm
 Re: Interesting Call Today. - LJCA on 3/20/19 5:17pm
 NJ will requires 2 witnesses ... - BobbiCT on 3/21/19 7:19am
 VA is not a "witness" state either, but witnesses are -  MW/VA on 3/21/19 10:25am
 I would also advise that you not notarize Wills if you're -  MW/VA on 3/22/19 2:27pm
 Re: Interesting Call Today. - MikeC/TX on 3/21/19 5:22pm
 Does NJ allow the notary to act as one of the witnesses? -  MW/VA on 3/22/19 2:26pm
 Re: Does NJ allow the notary to act as one of the witnesses? -  VT_Syrup on 3/22/19 3:05pm
 Re: I would not ignore this - Carolyn Bodley on 3/22/19 10:23pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.