Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: 6:31 PM est
Posted by Laureen/LA of LA on 6/24/19 6:20pm Msg #607878
Wow. Lots of unhappy borrowers and Lenders out there today. SD has become quite prolific as a go to for SS and look what can happen when they all of their eggs in one tech basket? For the SS it's profitable, as long as it's reliable. I have to think that reliability may come back into fashion when the vulnerability of a tech centric business model suddenly goes kerplooey out of the clear blue sky this way. I read above a mention of a DDoS attack and googled it. It appears to be a result of a cyber traffic jam. SD by it's very design is a cattle call just waiting for a traffic jam to happen. I can just imagine that jobs that are in progress keep getting return traffic checking back to see if the site is up again while others that were just then responding to offers when traffic became overwhelmed kept checking back to find out if the site was still down because they depend upon it for their daily bread. Apparently it's really hard to home in on a source of the problem if it even was an attack but from what I gather from this article, it appears to me that it could happen simply due to a traffic jam of regular users in some kind of a panic state. I'm no techie but that seems to be what is being described here, a traffic jam:

A SYN Flood is analogous to a worker in a supply room receiving requests from the front of the store. The worker receives a request, goes and gets the package, and waits for confirmation before bringing the package out front. The worker then gets many more package requests without confirmation until they can’t carry any more packages, become overwhelmed, and requests start going unanswered.
This attack exploits the TCP handshake by sending a target a large number of TCP “Initial Connection Request” SYN packets with spoofed source IP addresses. The target machine responds to each connection request and then waits for the final step in the handshake, which never occurs, exhausting the target’s resources in the process.

Volumetric Attacks
The Goal of the Attack:
This category of attacks attempts to create congestion by consuming all available bandwidth between the target and the larger Internet. Large amounts of data are sent to a target by using a form of amplification or another means of creating massive traffic, such as requests from a botnet.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/ddos/what-is-a-ddos-attack/
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Snap docs outage - Walt Ashley on 6/24/19 3:16pm
 Re: Snap docs outage -  Mike Goodey on 6/24/19 3:21pm
 Re: Snap docs outage - Walt Ashley on 6/24/19 3:32pm
 I am getting that problem also. Their site is down n/m -  garland/CA on 6/24/19 3:39pm
 Re: I am getting that problem also. Their site is down - Walt Ashley on 6/24/19 4:26pm
 Re: Snap docs outage - SteveS/CA on 6/24/19 5:26pm
 6:31 PM est - Luckydog on 6/24/19 5:31pm
 Re: 6:31 PM est - Laureen/LA on 6/24/19 6:20pm
 At end of month too. Wow. n/m - Linda_H/FL on 6/24/19 7:18pm
 Yep, I got the same: Snap docs outage n/m - FeliseSoCal on 6/24/19 8:16pm
 Not just Snap Docs -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/24/19 9:22pm
 Outage - Signerbill on 6/25/19 10:11am
 backup this AM - Luckydog on 6/25/19 7:03am
 Re: Snap docs outage - Dominique Dredden on 6/25/19 6:41pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.