Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

My impression of DocuSign security
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 8/3/19 12:44pm Msg #609056
In the thread beginning with Msg #609028 other posters suggested I try DocuSign, so I did (free trial, I didn't pay for anything).

The basic sequence is the document originator signs into a DocuSign account, uploads the document, and enters the name and email address of the signer. Optionally, the originator also signs the document. The document must be something that DocuSign can read, such as unprotected PDF or Word. If you need to keep the contents secret from DocuSign, GIVE UP, you can't.

The document gets sent to the email address given by the originator. The signer doesn't have to have a DocuSign account; all the signer needs is control over the email address.

The signer signs, either with a typed signature that is presented in a font that looks a bit like handwriting, or by drawing a signature with the mouse or similar pointing device. So the signature will not resemble the signer's normal pen & paper signature.

DocuSign completes the process and sends the finished PDF to all the signers. The finished PDF can be resent anywhere any of the recipients want. The finished document has no proof that it was signed by the purported signers other than that it was processed & esigned automatically by DocuSign and the mouse-drawn signatures. The finished PDF does not contain the email addresses of any of the signers.

CONCLUSION

This system seems to provide the document originator that the intended signers have indeed signed, because (we hope) the document originator is confident about which email address belongs to the people who are supposed to sign. But if the document originator is not sure that the email address really belongs to the desired signer, THE METHOD IS USELESS.

An evil document originator could send a document under his/her control, forge a signature, and the finished PDF would have no hint that anything is wrong. Thus, THE METHOD IS USELESS FOR PROVING TO A THIRD PARTY THAT THE SIGNATURE IS VALID.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 My impression of DocuSign security -  VT_Syrup on 8/3/19 12:44pm
 What a surprise (not). - Lee/AR on 8/3/19 1:17pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security - Luckydog on 8/3/19 3:04pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security -  VT_Syrup on 8/3/19 3:42pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security -  VT_Syrup on 8/3/19 3:45pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security - Luckydog on 8/3/19 4:47pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security -  VT_Syrup on 8/3/19 5:57pm
 Re: My impression of DocuSign security - pleasantonCA on 8/4/19 12:20pm
 Single document application - NVLSlady/VA on 8/5/19 11:10am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.