Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: California AB 5
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 10/23/19 4:25pm Msg #611441
At the moment, at least, I disagree with your conclusion, although I haven't yet read a lot in depth on this issue.

I'm not about to begin signing contracts with companies that hire us because nearly every one I've read is written to the clear advantage of the signing service. (I have signed very few of these in my career.) Many have sections that I strongly disagree with. So if anyone does decide to go that route, please be sure to read carefully before you sign, and don't hesitate to strike out provisions that too restrictive or worse.

My personal opinion on this issue (and obviously, I'm a CA notary), is that it would be very difficult to categorize the vast majority of us as employees. For one, we typically work for a wide variety of clients and while they may provide instructions, they don't control how we run our businesses or precisely how we carry out our work.

If I were to advise any steps to prevent being impacted by this, it would be to be careful to avoid working for the baby-sitting hand-holders who try to micro-manage how you operate. That's one of the biggest indicators of an employer/employee relationship. I'd also recommend being sure you have a diverse clientele.

Having said that, I think it's a good idea for us to keep an eye on what happens with this issue, so thanks for mentioning it again.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 https://gpins.com/sites/default/files/news/PetersenOct19.pdf - Bravo on 10/22/19 1:30pm
 Re: https://gpins.com/sites/default/files/news/PetersenOct19.pdf - Luckydog on 10/22/19 2:04pm
 AB 5 - Bravo on 10/23/19 1:53am
 Re: California AB 5 - James Powell on 10/23/19 6:37am
 Re: California AB 5 - Nicholas Kontgas on 10/23/19 12:44pm
 Re: California AB 5 -  JanetK_CA on 10/23/19 4:25pm
 Re: California AB 5 - James Powell on 10/24/19 6:48am
 IC written agreements (according to NOLO a Must) - NVLSlady/VA on 10/24/19 10:15am
 Great link with very good info for those in our field! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 10/25/19 11:24pm
 I read some of the Bill. Is this why they want us Licensed? n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 10/24/19 12:53pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.