Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Expansion of Vermont emergency RON and enotary rules
Posted by VT_Syrup of VT on 3/23/24 10:16am Msg #648068
I saw a web page from the NNA about Vermont's latest changes to its "Emergency Rules for Remote and Electronic Notarial Acts".

https://www.nationalnotary.org/knowledge-center/news/law-updates/vt-emergency-rules-march-2024

Part of NNA's analysis is "the Vermont Secretary of State extends the emergency rules for remote notarizations for another 180 days but adds provisions allowing Vermont Notaries to perform remote notarizations on electronic records instead of just paper records. In addition, the emergency rules now authorize Notaries to perform in-person electronic notarial acts."

I also read the rules straight from the state website (first link on the page):

https://sos.vermont.gov/notaries-public/statutes-rules-resources/

I found the rules to be so convoluted that I'm not able to figure out what I'm allowed to do. I also saw some things in the law I didn't like, such as:

"A notary public authorized to perform electronic notarial acts shall use the same electronic signature and electronic official stamp, if using, for all electronic notarial acts."

Um, what does "same" mean? What does "all" mean; one meeting with a client, one commission term, my entire notary career?

I suggest Vermont notaries go over this with a fine tooth comb, because the permanent rules might end up looking a lot like these unsatisfactory emergency rules.

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Expansion of Vermont emergency RON and enotary rules - VT_Syrup on 3/23/24 10:16am
 Re: Expansion of Vermont emergency RON and enotary rules -  Yoli/CA on 3/23/24 10:25am
 My first thought too, Yoli...wondering about that... - Linda_H/FL on 3/23/24 10:36am
 Re: Linda H/FL and multiple e-seals - VT_Syrup on 3/23/24 11:10am
 Re: Expansion of Vermont emergency RON and enotary rules - VT_Syrup on 3/23/24 10:49am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.