Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 9/26/17 7:11pm Msg #71006
"Refusing to stand for our national anthem is a sign of disrespect for the USA PERIOD"

It is not, and SCOTUS has already ruled that you can't make it mandatory (West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)). Jehovah's Witnesses, as a matter of religious belief, refuse to do anything that acknowledges the US flag - and like it or not, that's their First Amendment right.

Show me where in the Constitution it says that we MUST stand for the national anthem or pledge our allegiance to a flag. I don't get caught up in that kind of symbolism. I put more faith in the First Amendment, which CLEARLY says we all have the right to peacefully protest against the government. There's a reason the founders made that the first one of the Bill of Rights, and under Trump, it is rapidly becoming the most important one. It would be helpful if he took a moment to actually read it. How does anyone defend and protect a document he appears to be totally unfamiliar with?
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - MikeC/TX on 9/25/17 6:14pm
 Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - Sheryl/TX on 9/26/17 8:16am
 Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - MikeC/TX on 9/26/17 3:34pm
 Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - FGX/NJ on 9/26/17 3:56pm
 Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - MikeC/TX on 9/26/17 7:11pm
 Re: Keep this in mind when it comes to flags - FGX/NJ on 9/27/17 8:50am
 FGX so I guess you are good with the third verse? - Clem/CA on 9/28/17 4:19pm
 This is how the Cops honors the fallen. - FGX/NJ on 9/26/17 4:06pm
 Re: This is how the Cops honors the fallen. - FGX/NJ on 9/26/17 6:59pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.