Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Why you shouldn
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/7/17 4:12pm Msg #71263
"Kinda ironic, Nancy pilosi and her “you have to pass it to be able to read it” comes to mind..."

Yeah, except that was taken out of context. What she said, in context was:

"You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

She was referring to the benefits of the bill, not the contents. Everyone in Congress had months to read the bill itself. There were hearings and over 100 amendments added.

In the case of the Tax Cut Act, it was all done in secret over the course of about a week. Not a single committee hearing. Senators literally did not see the bill until about 2 hours before they voted on it. 400+ pages, some of it handwritten, and some of it unreadable because they cut off the margins when they made copies. Dems wanted the weekend to have time to review it, McConnell said no, we vote tonight. So it's no surprise that at least one mistake crept in; there could be others.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Why you shouldn't ram through a bill without giving people - MikeC/TX on 12/6/17 4:10pm
 Re: Why you shouldn - shooterclay on 12/6/17 5:33pm
 Re: Why you shouldn - MikeC/TX on 12/7/17 4:12pm
 Re: Why you shouldn - shooterclay on 12/7/17 11:07pm
 Re: Why you shouldn - MikeC/TX on 12/8/17 5:57pm
 Re: Why you shouldn -  JanetK_CA on 12/9/17 2:05pm
 Re: Why you shouldn - MikeC/TX on 12/9/17 4:33pm
 Maybe not 100% but I think a huge % of increase was - Moneyman/TX on 12/11/17 7:00pm
 Re: Maybe not 100% but I think a huge % of increase was -  JanetK_CA on 12/12/17 1:59am
 Re: Why you shouldn -  Amigoaz on 12/9/17 8:18am
 Re: Why you shouldn - shooterclay on 12/10/17 12:42pm
 I don't think her words were taken out of context ... - Moneyman/TX on 12/11/17 6:14pm
 Re: I don - MikeC/TX on 12/12/17 3:18pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.