Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: What
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/5/19 4:29pm Msg #30819
I've been hoping to focus on meals that don't depend on using substitutes, with few things out of a box. I'm hoping to do more meals using various types of plant food as the star of the dish, including fresh veggies (preferably in season). Also, would like them to be fairly simple without needing lots of different ingredients that might not get used often and will end up needing to be tossed out. Am I dreaming? Wink

Yeah, I know... I need to develop a whole new way of thinking about food preparation. When I was growing up, veggies were a side dish, came out of the freezer - and were usually over-cooked. Yeccch! Wink No frozen veggies for me, but I still have lots to learn!

Seems like the biggest challenge I have is finding meals that are filling, while keeping starchy foods and soy (not good for me) to a minimum. For me, the key may be in keeping those things to a minimum vs. eliminating them altogether, and perhaps doing the same thing with eggs and poultry. Soups do sound like a great way to go (until weather gets warm again), so I think I'm going to work on expanding my repertoire there, for now. With a salad, makes a nice, varied meal.

BTW, I cooked a big turkey over the holidays, cut it up and froze pieces in sizes that would get used up within a few days. (Comes in very handy during weeks I don't have time to cook.) With the carcass, I made a great soup with sliced onions and garlic, lots of interesting spices, and garbanzos, using a recipe I got from someone years ago. This time (first time ever) I used fresh garbanzos - or chick peas - instead of canned. It was much easier than I thought, just requiring a little bit of advanced planning. (So many benefits to not opening a can...!) Very tasty, very filling and when not frozen, makes for an easy, quick meal. Sometimes I throw in a bit of cooked brown rice, to add a little variety and get more meals out of a batch.

I have another recipe I like that's kind of like a chili, but with a variety of different beans. To those of you with more experience, can I throw a bunch of different types of dried beans all together in one pot for overnight soaking? That would make it much easier to completely get away from opening cans, with all the sodium, chemicals, etc. (Probably a lot less expensive, too.)

I think lentils are another great food to eat more of. Might be interesting to learn to make some Indian and Asian dishes... Smile
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 What's your favorite healthy dish? - Bear900/CA on 1/3/19 11:50pm
 Here's the vegan pizza recipe - Bear900/CA on 1/3/19 11:55pm
 The healthiest bread in the world - Bear900/CA on 1/4/19 12:05am
 Ultimate cashew cream sauce - Bear900/CA on 1/4/19 12:14am
 Mushroom stroganoff with cashew cream sauce recipe - Bear900/CA on 1/4/19 10:30am
 Re: What - Luckydog on 1/4/19 7:28am
 Active link -  Christine/OK on 1/4/19 7:41am
 Egg Substitute - NVLSlady/VA on 1/4/19 11:09am
 Need to crack the egg formula - Bear900/CA on 1/4/19 12:04pm
 Arrowroot - that's listed #8 - NVLSlady/VA on 1/4/19 1:10pm
 Re: Need to crack the egg formula -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/4/19 3:11pm
 Re: Egg Substitute - MikeC/TX on 1/4/19 5:24pm
 Re: Egg Substitute - NVLSlady/VA on 1/4/19 7:28pm
 Re: What -  JanetK_CA on 1/5/19 4:29pm
 Legums - Bear900/CA on 1/5/19 6:46pm
 Lentils are my favorite. I put them in salads. Kale, cukes -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/5/19 11:17pm
 Tomorrow's lentil soup -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/6/19 12:06am
 Thanks! This does sound good! -  JanetK_CA on 1/6/19 5:33pm
 Re: Thanks! This does sound good! -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/7/19 9:28pm
 Gave it a go yesterday. :>) -  JanetK_CA on 1/20/19 3:37pm
 Great way to spend some time on a Sunday afternoon! -  JanetK_CA on 1/6/19 4:33pm
 Re: Legumes (Mung Bean Wraps) - NVLSlady/VA on 1/7/19 9:34pm
 Re: Legumes (Mung Bean Wraps) - Bear900/CA on 1/8/19 10:03am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.