Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Kicked out of the hospital after 17 hours!
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 4/20/18 6:17pm Msg #30241
Doc had wanted me to stay another 24 hours as the TKR was done late yesterday.

Therapist finally came around and put me quickly through some paces, then shrugged and said, "Why?". So did the rest of the hospital staff. So called the dr and got a reluctant green light, basically saying if I felt good enough, okay.

Got some exercises to go and the hospital bouncer gave me the boot.

I think by now you know what contributed towards this. Especially helpful if you are thinking of having this procedure done.

Plant based eating, weight down to HS level, constant pre-op exercises especially strengthening arms and shoulders to lift yourself up, getting a jump on bending the leg to know what to expect, and most of all a positive attitude and letting the docs know you have faith in them. "Go get 'em doc. Do a good job!" He smiled then did just that. Awesome!

They shoot for a knee bending goal of approx. 110 degrees. I was almost there this morning.

Forget the hospital lady who said I needed nothing. The best thing I bought is an ice machine, an ice pad with a compression pump, and a massage table and ankle pillow to do exercises. (all very affordable on Amazon). It's easy to get onboard the table and exercise on and if you can touch your toes first can also put on socks and clothes easily. Depends on the person but the raised toilet seat was the only waste and it's not b natural position if you have something to hold onto. Never got constipated from pain killers and doesn't look like I will. Plant based food!!!

Added a couple of grab bars (paying off) and a hand shower with chair for later.

Side story: there was one lady I met at the orientation on Tuesday, both of us for TKR's. She went in Wed morning early, myself Thursday late.

I was dressed standing in the doorway 17 hours later when she struggled down the hallway with a walker and her therapist after 48 hours. She said she would be there at least the night again. Talking to her at orientation, she was totally unprepared. Some people think you check in and you're totally taken care of. It's starts with the patient first. She may have had complications but her questions showed a complete failure for preparation at levels that were basic. Hope it's nothing more serious. She did say she was moving along a bit better. Got to know her and turns out she knew my parents. So keeping her in mind.

Excitedly waiting for the next knee to drop!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Kicked out of the hospital after 17 hours! - Bear900/CA on 4/20/18 6:17pm
 Re: Kicked out of the hospital after 17 hours! -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/20/18 6:46pm
 Glad to hear you've got your new knee & got kicked out (bad -  MW/VA on 4/20/18 7:06pm
 Re: Glad to hear you - Bear900/CA on 4/20/18 7:41pm
 Re: Glad to hear you -  Claudine Osborne on 4/20/18 9:00pm
 Re: Glad to hear you -  JanetK_CA on 4/21/18 2:34am
 Sounds like a very nice hospital. I have some surgery -  MW/VA on 4/21/18 7:25pm
 Re: Sounds like a very nice hospital. I have some surgery - Bear900/CA on 4/21/18 7:38pm
 Yay! Sounds like your preparation paid off in aces. - Yoli/CA on 4/22/18 3:32pm
 Re: Glad to hear you -  Amigoaz on 4/22/18 4:51pm
 Re: Glad https://www.notaryrotary.com/forums/foruto hear you -  janCA on 4/23/18 8:59am
 Thanks all! - Bear900/CA on 4/23/18 10:23pm
 Re: Thanks all! - Yoli/CA on 4/24/18 11:47am
 They discontinued treatment today - Bear900/CA on 4/25/18 12:33am
 Re: They discontinued treatment today - MikeC/TX on 4/26/18 7:25pm
 Re: They discontinued treatment today -  Claudine Osborne on 4/26/18 8:52pm
 Happy to hear of your successful recovery..... - notarydi/CA on 4/26/18 10:20pm
 "I miss the refreshing ocean." - Bear900/CA on 5/3/18 11:25am
 Re: "I miss the refreshing ocean." -  Amigoaz on 5/8/18 10:50pm
 Of Cane and Able - Bear900/CA on 5/11/18 7:21pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.