Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Where was the customer coffee?
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 8/3/18 12:21am Msg #30501
So I'm reading this in bed and made the mistake (and now laughing about it) of asking my wife what she does to account for misc dept expenses. She's the accounting office manager with a 70 year old family owned new car dealership. This dealership is extremely unusual in accolades it receives from customers and other businesses on how well it's run.

I know better to ask such questions. Her tongue instantly turns into a calculator tape, complete with a list of accounts of what goes where. So I just had to ask.... "who do you charge the Starbucks Coffee to?" Yes, they provide it free, with free WiFi, bottled water, and large screen tv in a living room setting. Or chose the cafe-atrium setting with preserved olive trees.

I got the whole run down of pre-setup accounts for everything from tree-trimming to department supplies, blah, blah...blah, blah...blah, blah.

Short answer: They never charge the customer. Either the department is charged or it is split between departments as a cost of doing business.

My thought: if a business isn't smart enough to build in the cost of doing business, they're not smart enough to do work for me.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't account for every penny of expense. My wife tracks every penny so the owners don't have to and why she's been there for 24 years. She's funny in being able to run a tight ship and be extremely well-liked at the same time. She's very protective about the family's business. Shouldn't we all be?
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Junk/scam fees... (border line 'Discuss Work') - NVLSlady/VA on 8/2/18 4:11pm
 Re: Junk/scam fees... (border line - Luckydog on 8/2/18 6:17pm
 Re: Junk/scam fees... (border line - bagger on 8/7/18 3:28pm
 PS.... - Luckydog on 8/2/18 6:20pm
 You have to be really careful where you take your car -  MW/VA on 8/2/18 6:26pm
 Re: You have to be really careful where you take your car - Luckydog on 8/2/18 6:43pm
 Re: You have to be really careful where you take your car -  JanetK_CA on 8/2/18 10:12pm
 Re: Junk/scam fees... (border line - HisHughness on 8/2/18 11:18pm
 "A practice that are"? Wow. - HisHughness on 8/2/18 11:23pm
 Where was the customer coffee? - Bear900/CA on 8/3/18 12:21am
 Re: Where was the customer coffee? - NVLSlady/VA on 8/3/18 8:19am
 The provided list was standard all-purchase use. - NVLSlady/VA on 8/3/18 8:21am
 Re: The provided list was standard all-PURPOSE. n/m - NVLSlady/VA on 8/3/18 9:16am
 Re: Junk/scam fees... - NVLSlady/VA on 8/6/18 12:19pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.