Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Understanding "Aerobic vs Anaerobic" in Soil biology
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 1/8/19 11:22am Msg #30841
"The process utilizes a 5-foot-by-10-foot pod full of organic "tinder" such as straw and wood chips. Thermophilic or heat-loving microbes then metabolize the remains, maintaining an internal temperature of 131 degrees Fahrenheit within the vessel. The entire ritual takes one month, and produces a cubic yard of compost, according to Recompose."

uh...no BTW, I love making compost!

One of the really fun things about gardening is making that "perect" compost. The idea which is totally correct, requires much more heat and time. To remain aerobic requires more than just allowing "breezes to hit it", it requires 'turning' and watering to feed the aerobic bacteria or they will die. That's why you see $500+ garden tumblers out there.

I use a pitchfork and a garden hose. Balancing the nitrogen to types of carbon is also important. Wood chips can take a long time (months and years) to decompose. Still, I like the idea, and Back to Eden Gardening method is based on the use of woodchips PLUS adding nutrients. It gets a lot of flak for that.

Stacking and not aerating and or watering will turn the compost anaerobic, gaseous, smelly, oozy...not good. It will decompose and may be used, eventually, it's just not the flowery process she described.

Otherwise, I like the idea of returning to earth. At my aunt's funeral, her family went through an older ritual of some of the men shoveling a shovel full of dirt over the coffin. I had never done this before and glad I didn't have much time to think about it. After doing so, I was amazed at the level of comfort it brought. Sounds weird, but yes, I felt much better.

In the meantime, stay healthy! Stay aerobic! Wink
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Katrina Spade's Composting idea -  Christine/OK on 1/8/19 7:09am
 Re: Katrina Spade - Luckydog on 1/8/19 10:29am
 Understanding "Aerobic vs Anaerobic" in Soil biology - Bear900/CA on 1/8/19 11:22am
 Re: Understanding "Aerobic vs Anaerobic" in Soil biology - Luckydog on 1/8/19 11:41am
 try this or this is the whole link - Luckydog on 1/8/19 11:42am
 Re: 10 things not to compost - Bear900/CA on 1/8/19 11:54am
 Re: 10 things not to compost - Luckydog on 1/8/19 12:06pm
 Re: 10 things not to compost - Bear900/CA on 1/8/19 12:22pm
 Re: 10 things not to compost - Luckydog on 1/8/19 2:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.