Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #622376

3 replies
Warning for all Notaries
By  Ernest__CT on 7/24/20 7:37pm

If you are faced with a (potential) signer who cannot produce valid identification according to your state's Notary Public laws, WALK AWAY.

Some companies (mentioning no names here!) may attempt to talk you in to having the signer sign all the documents _including those which require notarizations_ and tell you that you don't have to notarize those docs which have a notarial block. DON'T DO IT!!!

Some unscrupulous companies will have one of their in-house Notaries _fraudulently_ notarize the signature even though the signer and Notary never met nor did the Notary see the signer's identification.

Have someone sign a document which is supposed to be notarized when the Notary physically present cannot, by law, notarize the signature is _encouraging fraud._ JUST DON'T DO IT.

Msg #622375

0 replies
Warning for CT Notaries!
By  Ernest__CT on 7/24/20 7:27pm

If you get a call for a structured settlement for a Neil N. in Norwich, CT, be aware that he cannot produce identification that is acceptable under Connecticut law! Today he produced a non-driver's ID that had expired in 2019.

The contact phone number which was provided (ending in 3168) belongs to his son. No messages could be left because "... the voice mailbox is full". The son apologized repeatedly for not having set up voicemail.

There will be another Post warning about having someone sign a form when you cannot notarize the signature. Please read it to keep yourself out of trouble.

Msg #622354

10 replies
Die if you don't, die if you do, wearing face masks toxic
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/24/20 4:10pm

I was having dinner last night with a couple of my LO buddies, and we all agreed that face masks are annoying, can be blind sighting, and uncomfortable. As well, we are breathing in our own carbon monoxide. How good is that for us?

This is a good article from CDC regarding masking.

http://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=26712&publicId=395

Msg #622346

19 replies
Be concerned? Post-signing claim
By Kellosh/CA on 7/24/20 2:12pm

Well, you live long enough...

Did a signing earlier this month for an immigrant couple. English was a second language for both, but I was able to easily communicate with them both in person on the phone. They were actually very cordial, even brought me a bottle of water (we signed in a school parking lot) and went out of their way to help me set up my folding table. If I had been unable to communicate with them, I wouldn't have done the signing for obvious reasons.

Got a call a few days back from the Title agent. The couple is now trying to get out of their loan using the claim that they only speak Chinese and they didn't understand what they were signing and were unable to communicate at all with me. This is so bizarre, I don't even know if I should laugh it off or consult with a lawyer. I do have in my favor with this title company a few signings over the past 15 years where I refused to sign on site due to communication issues (twice because the signers only spoke Spanish and I do not and once because one member of an elderly couple clearly didn't even know who she let alone what she was signing.) Opinions?

Msg #622340

5 replies
While we're talking PPE
By NVLSlady/VA on 7/24/20 10:22am

Beware of Fake Masks (outrageous claims Or no such item at all).

http://www.bbb.org/article/news-releases/21482-scam-alert-preparing-for-coronavirus-that-face-mask-could-be-a-con

Vulnerable while virtual shopping Or in cheap China outlets/venues. VIGILANCE needed.

BBB is reporting complaints & scams galore. Stimulus $$. Home work "opportunities." From bogus Contact Tracing to malware threats, fake government calls . . .

(Getting more unsolicited "official" calls. Illegal activity under my SSN and such.)

Stay safe All.

Msg #622319

20 replies
Posting here because we are using hand sanitizers
By Luckydog on 7/23/20 12:37pm

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-methanol

75 hand sanatizers under recal that can kill you are create serious injury.

The list of hand sanitizers recalled for containing a toxic wood alcohol keeps growing, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has listed even more. Now there's one that has produced sanitizers from small bottles, gallon jugs and even tanks.

The latest culprit, like so many others, is made and bottled in Mexico. The company called Licquesa Exportacion distributes the product called Optimus Instant Hand Sanitizer, which can be purchased in 8.5-ounce bottles to gallon-size, 55-gallon drums and by the 275-gallon tank-load.

All of them are labeled with a green and white label, and the product was distributed throughout the United States.

Msg #622314

3 replies
Jumbos
By Clem/CA on 7/23/20 10:31am

In trouble

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-feared-jumbo-mortgage-debacle-is-here-thanks-to-the-coronavirus-and-ready-to-pound-the-housing-market-2020-07-22

Msg #622296

14 replies
Commercial eDocs (too many files)
By NVLSlady/VA on 7/22/20 8:46pm

Those accustomed to SBA loans or perhaps commercial signings: Do the electronic files come in separately?
I have a request to print forty (40) pdf's, which I declined. From an attorney for a nice fee, BUT . . .

(I don't have the Adobe Combine feature and certainly would not merge all these online).

Msg #622275

6 replies
Evergreen Empire charging for leads?
By CarolLS/CA on 7/22/20 10:47am

Have other notaries received texts to sign up with Evergreen Empire?
The text says they are looking for partners in my area and will charge $30 - $50 per lead but will guarantee 10 appointments per month. The text does not say how much the notary makes so that makes me curious. Is this a scam or do you think it is worth researching? So far i cannot find anything on Google search. Please let me know. Thank you!

Msg #622265

22 replies
How Long?
By StphnBayArea on 7/21/20 10:29pm

CA. signing agent.

On average, how long does it take for you to complete an assignment?
(from assignment confirmation until drop off at fedex, and completely fill out the journal. Approx. 2 set x 150 pages/set, 10-15 miles travel)

I asked this because it took me at least 3 hours (may be I'm slow?). With payment about $95 for the assignment, and printing cost about $35, leave us with $60. Let's say $1/mile for travel, then only $45 left/3 hours = $15. That's minimum wage, and doesn't make sense for me. I can work in Amazon warehouse for $16/hr.

What do you think? Am I missing something here?

Msg #622247

26 replies
CA notaries with out of state (LA) documents
By  garland/CA on 7/21/20 10:24am

Hi CA notaries. I have a set of LA documents that require the Note to be signed and sealed (stamped) by the notary. No notarial wording on the document. The Mortgage I am allowed to attach a CA All Purpose Acknowledgment but not the Note. Any other CA notaries dealt with LA documents?

Msg #622242

6 replies
PAW
By  Claudine Osborne on 7/21/20 9:10am

Today is the day we lost PAW! He is surely missed!

Msg #622229

3 replies
PA Notaries
By  rengel/CA on 7/20/20 5:40pm

Are you required to use an Acknowledgement or do you just stamp on the paper that is signed (with no notarial verbiage)?
I received a document from a client and the PA notary just stamped by client's signature and then notary signed above their stamp. I don't think this is a legal notarization.

Thoughts?

My .02
Rengel/CA
Sacvalleynotary
Sac Valley Legal Document Preparation

Msg #622221

16 replies
Cash Sale Buyer paying fee?
By Steven Wright on 7/20/20 2:57pm

Buyer request for signing agent: Deed of Trust signature notorized and scan back/return mail originals but also wanted me to deliver seller check?

Msg #622209

6 replies
This may help with people who refuse to wear a mask in
By SC/CA on 7/20/20 11:51am

signings and in other situations.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/mask-etiquette-coronavirus-covid19-fbi-hostage-15416464.php

Taking a neutral non-judgmental tone, while sometimes difficult, seems like it might be an effective approach. I may use some of the techniques to help with my neighbor's barking dogs. Super nice people, nice house, but they appear to absolutely love the sound of their insensately barking dogs! :-)

Msg #622196

8 replies
Pavaso Hybrid Signings
By Ellen The Notary on 7/19/20 6:18pm

Amrock just started sending me Hybrid Closings again after I took the Pavaso training. I have a few scheduled this week. I did a Hybrid for them once before awhile ago but had a different computer and did not have an Ipad. Just found out that my iphone provider xfiniti is not contracted to add a data plan/sim card to IPAD that wasn't purchased thru them. Does everyone that does Hybrid's have a data plan or do you use wi'fi and can you connect hot spot from iphone to ipad? I may have to cancel, because the Verizon store near me has decided to close during the Covid and it will take me a few days to get one. Technically challenged in some ways.

Msg #622188

5 replies
A good read about COVI-19 impact on our industry
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/19/20 2:42pm

http://dsnews.com/daily-dose/06-08-2020/white-paper-mortgage-forbearances-the-biggest-challengeK

Black Knight wrote a white paper also.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/black-knight-releases-covid-19-white-paper-providing-in-depth-evaluation-of-pandemics-impact-on-the-housing-and-mortgage-industries-301034381.html

I had a client tell me yesterday he sees another interest rate reduction soon.

Get ready, be ready!

Msg #622180

3 replies
Bancserv App
By  Marcia Morris on 7/19/20 11:33am

Does anyone know how to stop the Bancserv app from signing me out? I have to enter my login information almost every time they send a blast. I keep the App open but it consistently logs me out. I have an Android. I've looked at the settings and don't see anything in there to assist me. I'm missing out on lots of orders due to having to consistently having to log back in. TIA

Msg #622173

7 replies
During this frenzied loan signing climate, signed my last RM
By  Cheryl Elliott on 7/19/20 10:15am

for a while. 249 pages (twice), oodles of notarizations, especially if title is held in a trust.

Takes hours to do, and companies do not want to pay enough money to compensate for the scope of work.

I can sign two files at $150-$200 each for the time it takes to do a RM, and the couple I signed for were alert, smart and agile. Throw in a signer or signers who can barely move a pen across the signature line, a RM can take several hours.

Any one else?

Msg #622164

16 replies
Service Link - PennyMac
By Notarydude on 7/19/20 2:25am

I am so upset. I went out of my way to do a signing that was a 3 hour drive one way for SL and the client was PennyMac. They negotiated a wonderful rate. I printed and when I got to the location, the signer answered the door and said you are not supposed to be here. She further explained that after you called to confirm, I called my loan officer and we feel you are trying to steal our identities. I said huh? She said you asked for us to make copies of our drivers license and a secondary. She said we do not have a copy machine or printer to do this. I said that is ok, I can make copies. I was never contacted by SL to cancel at all. So she invited me in. I said I send this information back with the package, and do not keep it. I need to get you into my electronic journal, (I use notary act). So I opened the app and began to scan the back of her DL to get her in my log. She went crazy and called her LO. The LO told her to call the police because in CA it is not legal to scan anyones ID or ask for a copy. I heard it with my own ears because the lady had the LO on speaker phone. I pulled out the instruction sheet from the package that instructed me to send back copies of both ID's used for the patriot act form. The borrower read this to the LO and the LO said I must have added this to the packet. So I said I am sorry for the trouble, but let me just leave and you guys can work this out with Service Link. So I left, I call SL they tell me they are sorry, and I will still receive my full fee. So then on Monday I get a call from vendor relations asking what happen. I explained. She said does not sound like you did anything wrong, but PennyMac has asked that you be ban from doing anymore of their loans because you would not proceed without verifying the IDS. ???? AM I missing something here? That is my job to verify the identity of the person that is signing. And I was only following the instructions in the packet by asking for copies. What is awful was PennyMac was 20% of my bookings. I am still receiving work from SL but is has slowed way down now. Any advice?

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.