Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Unfortunately not the best timing...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 3/24/23 12:44am Msg #644864
I've also been doing this for more than 20 years - and I don't think I was ever even close to this slow, even after the mortgage meltdown. And interestingly, it seems more people than ever are wanting to jump into this field. In the past three days, I think I've either talked to or been told about four people who've just decided (or are considering) starting a notary business. (What this tells me is that lots of people are looking for additional income, but few are actually doing any research on the potential of what they're thinking of jumping into.)

One other major factor that I don't think was mentioned above is that RON (Remote Online Notarization) is already taking a big chunk of business and it hasn't even rolled out nationally yet. Unfortunately, though, I think it's just a matter of time before that happens. So yeah, I don't recommend investing too much money into starting a notary signing business.

BUT, if you decide to go for it anyway, you already have plenty of experience about how the industry works, you just need to learn more details about the specifics of loan documents, which you can do on your own. You can probably get samples from your contacts (or even online), but keep in mind that there's lots of variation from one lender to another.

There's always going to be a learning curve, but as recommended already, reading backwards on this forum may be the best education you can get - and for free. In between lots of nonsense, you'll learn plenty on how to handle various situations, many clients to avoid, and perhaps some great insight on how to find work. (Just don't assume that everything said here is accurate or the best advice. That's in the eye of the beholder, naturally. And things vary from state to state.) The classes being offered are mostly ripoffs, so I agree to save your money.

The only big thing left are supplies and a decent laser printer, preferably dual tray, capable of automatically selecting for letter and legal size paper - unless you already have one. If not, you may be able to get a good quality used printer for a pretty good deal. (That's a pretty common topic here, too. And like FeliceSoCal said, that Orange Search button may be your best friend.) I've had good luck in the past buying on eBay, being careful to research the supplier. I'm in the HP camp. Paying $100 - $200+ for a work group printer that originally sold for $1000 - $2000 or more has been a good investment for me. Given how slow things are, there may be some good values out there again. IDK...

Best of luck with whatever you do!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent - Corliss Reynolds on 3/22/23 7:16pm
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent -  Mike Goodey on 3/22/23 7:23pm
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/22/23 10:03pm
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent - Corliss Reynolds on 3/23/23 12:47pm
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/23 11:33am
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent - Corliss Reynolds on 3/23/23 12:46pm
 Things must be pretty bad in the industry. - NVLSlady/MD on 3/23/23 12:31pm
 Re: Things must be pretty bad in the industry. - Corliss Reynolds on 3/23/23 12:49pm
 Re: Things must be pretty bad in the industry. - NVLSlady/MD on 3/23/23 3:13pm
 Re: Things must be pretty bad in the industry. - Corliss Reynolds on 3/24/23 1:32pm
 Unfortunately not the best timing... - FeliseSoCal on 3/23/23 7:02pm
 Re: Unfortunately not the best timing... -  JanetK_CA on 3/24/23 12:44am
 Re: Unfortunately not the best timing... - Corliss Reynolds on 3/24/23 1:45pm
 Re: Unfortunately not the best timing... - Corliss Reynolds on 3/24/23 1:41pm
 Re: Unfortunately not the best timing... -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/23 1:58pm
 Re: New Florida Notary looking to become a signing agent - PaigeTurner on 3/26/23 4:34pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.