Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Use the long form when doc is going to MA?
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 1/23/20 7:56am Msg #614888
BobbiCT wrote in Msg #614884 that MA doesn't have a law recognizing out-of-state notarizations that comply with the laws of the other state; the notarizations must be done in a way that comply with MA law and the certificate must contain the information that an MA certificate is supposed to contain.

This came up before, see Msg #585205

Many states, including VT and other states that have passed the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts (RULONA) allow short certificates, that leave out lots of information. But if you don't use the exact short certificate, you have to use a long certificate that shows the notary did everything that is required by law. So if I were taking an acknowledgement for a document that was headed for MA, I guess I'd have to write something like this:

State of Vermont VOID SPECIMEN

County of Rutland

On January 32, 9999, Ethan Allen personally appeared before me, presented satisfactory evidence of his identity and the appearance of his signature in the form of a Vermont driver license, and acknowledged to me that he executed the foregoing record as his free act and deed. VOID SPECIMEN

/s/ VT_Syrup
VT_Syrup
Vermont Notary Public
My commission expires January 33, 9999
Commission number 123456789

Of course, the new Vermont law does not give any examples of a long certificate, only the short ones, so the example I just gave is just a guess as to what is needed.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Use the long form when doc is going to MA? -  VT_Syrup on 1/23/20 7:56am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.