Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Renewing my commission in CA
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 8/7/20 9:24pm Msg #622885
There's a good 3-hr online class available right here from this site. (If you're a Premier member it's free. I don't know the cost if you're not.) The BGC you need to renew your notary commission is done by the state and is NOT the same one that you do through the NNA. The forms are available on the SOS website. Fill that out, then select a location from the state's approved list (also available on that site) to have a livescan done. It will be automatically submitted for an FBI/DOJ background check.

You also need to schedule yourself to take the proctored exam administered by CPS for the state. I recommend you get signed up for that ASAP, before you do anything else, because they only offer about one a month in each of the several locations around the state where they're held.

ALL this info, and more, is available on the SOS website notary section and in the handbook, and I very strongly recommend you read through all of it carefully. You can find it here: http://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/qualifications/. Be sure to follow all the links so you don't skip a step. Like JustANotary said, you don't have much time to spare. I recently went through all this again myself (for the 6th time) and I counted 11 separate steps. (There might have been a couple of extra because of COVID-19 and some offices being closed.)

BTW, I also recommend buying stamps & supplies here. Good luck!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Renewing my commission in CA - Steve Silva on 8/7/20 7:23pm
 Re: Renewing my commission in CA - Steve Silva on 8/7/20 7:24pm
 Re: Renewing my commission in CA -  JanetK_CA on 8/7/20 9:24pm
 Re: Renewing my commission in CA - JustANotary on 8/7/20 7:28pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.