Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Best Advice I've ever found here for Newbies re fee setting.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 10/13/20 3:52pm Msg #625373
I'm happy to hear that your approach is working well for you, but I don't believe your advice to newbies is necessarily sound. In fact, for some, I think it may be rather bad advice.

It's been a long time since this topic was discussed in depth here, so this seems like a good place and time to raise it again. Fortunately (perhaps now that the Search feature has been improved), I found the message I've been looking for that I believe gives the best perspective I've read here on a critical aspect of the financial side of our business. It's this one: Msg #488879.

The key take-away (but not the only one) is that for the NSA, 'volume' from a client depends on how much they're paying and is only a benefit when it provides a sufficient profit margin. It's an important consideration when evaluating whether we're working smart, or just working hard. (This barely scratches the surface of what's explained there.) The good stuff is towards the end, so read the whole thing. And if you're new (or even if you're not), I strongly recommend you read it twice. Understanding this concept can be the difference between making a profit and/or working at a loss.

What she doesn't get into in this particular message, which bears further investigation, are the various taxes (including SE tax) and the consequences/considerations of taking the allowed Notary exemptions, or not. These choices could have a significant impact for you later in life.

Also, for those who have additional income streams, it's still important that your notary business eventually make a profit (I believe within 3 yrs, but check with your CPA). If you're using notary business expenses as deductions, but it doesn't make a profit on it's own, the IRS can rule that your notary business is a hobby and can disallow all those deductions, which would INCREASE your tax liability, not reduce it. (Years ago, someone posted here that this happened to them.)

BTW, I also found this related message on price fixing, which has been a recent topic: Msg #539318.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Advice for Newbies -  fvmn/IL on 10/13/20 12:01pm
 Re: Advice for Newbies -  Yoli/CA on 10/13/20 2:10pm
 Re: Advice for Newbies -  fvmn/IL on 10/13/20 2:14pm
 Re: Advice for Newbies -  Yoli/CA on 10/13/20 2:21pm
 Personally n/m - Luckydog on 10/13/20 2:39pm
 Re: Personally - Luckydog on 10/13/20 2:43pm
 Re: Personally -  Yoli/CA on 10/13/20 3:14pm
 Re: Personally - Luckydog on 10/13/20 3:34pm
 I have one of those accounts. They have a contracted - ananotary on 10/13/20 3:42pm
 Best Advice I've ever found here for Newbies re fee setting. -  JanetK_CA on 10/13/20 3:52pm
 To be clear, not talking about OP. Pls read msg # provided. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 10/13/20 3:57pm
 Totally agree with that oldie but goodie. - ananotary on 10/13/20 6:08pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.