Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Who has done any RIN signings in Calif
Posted by VT_Syrup of VT on 5/9/22 3:33pm Msg #639951
I'm from a state where RIN is allowed under emergency rules issued because of the pandemic. I hadn't heard that it had been authorized in CA.

I wonder if there might be some confusion on the part of Jody Wilson about exactly what RIN is.

RIN is remote ink notarization. RIN isn't an official term used in laws; it's a term used on notarization-related websites. The details vary from state to state, but where it's allowed, the signer signs a paper document while the notary is watching via an audio-video connection. The signer says whatever needs to be said, such as "I acknowledge that's my signature and I signed for the reasons in the document" or "I swear the document is true".

Then the signer somehow sends the document to the notary. One option is to mail it. Another option is to scan it and email it. If it's an email, the notary prints it. Then the notary fills out the notarial certificate. There will be special language in the certificate indicating the communication involved audio-video. The notary mails the paper document back to the signer, or sends it wherever the signer wants it sent.

Something that IS allowed in CA that's related is in-person electronic notarization. There are very few laws about this in CA because it was authorized in a law that has very little to do with notarizations: the California Uniform Electronic Transactions Act. It may be read at

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displayText.xhtml?lawCode=CIV&division=3.&title=2.5.&part=2.&chapter=&article=

For an in-person electronic notarization, the signer and the notary are in the same physical location and are not using any electronics to communicate with each other. The signer signs an electronic document using an electronic signature. The notary fills out an electronic notarial certificate and signs the certificate with an electronic signature. The finished product is an electronic document signed by the signer and the notary.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Who has done any RIN signings in Calif - Jody Wilson on 5/9/22 11:28am
 Re: Who has done any RIN signings in Calif -  JanetK_CA on 5/9/22 3:09pm
 Re: Who has done any RIN signings in Calif - Bravo on 5/9/22 3:27pm
 Re: Who has done any RIN signings in Calif - VT_Syrup on 5/9/22 3:33pm
 Re: Who has done any RIN signings in Calif -  canotaryhere on 5/9/22 3:55pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.