Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: I have paid $25 or $50 depending on the circumstances
Posted by  Teresa/FL of FL on 6/5/24 7:38pm Msg #648572
I don't like having to provide witnesses, but will agree to do so as long as the compensation for the witnesses is added on top of the fee I am charging. If it's one or two documents, $25 will usually suffice. If it's a full estate planning package with multiple docs requiring witnesses, including a Will or a POA, and/or is in a hospital or skilled care facility, $50 is a better fee since more time is required. It's important to determine ahead of time if a Will is included because a Will (at least in Florida) normally requires notarization of the witness signatures so this would eliminate using any of the notary's relatives as witnesses.

Sometimes one of my friends is available and will ride along with me or meet me there. Other times I have posted in a Facebook notary group and have had another notary meet me at the signing location. Newbies appreciate the opportunity to see how a seasoned notary handles a document signing so it can work out even though it means extra time to coordinate the signing.

If I am paid at the time of signing, I pay the witnesses immediately. If I am paid at a later date, I pay the witnesses later, but within 15 days (even if I haven't received payment yet). Occasionally I will have the signer pay the witnesses instead of funneling the payment through me. I require the witnesses to complete an W-2 form before I will issue payment. I have not yet paid any one witness $600 in a one year period, but want to make sure I am not liable for the taxes on this income since it is actually an expense for me.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Going rate for witness fee... - FeliseSoCal on 6/5/24 12:43pm
 Re: Going rate for witness fee... - Lee/AR on 6/5/24 1:03pm
 Re: Going rate for witness fee... - SteveS/CA on 6/5/24 1:35pm
 Re: Going rate for witness fee... -  Cheryl Elliott on 6/5/24 1:30pm
 Re: Going rate for witness fee... - SReis on 6/5/24 6:23pm
 Re: Going rate for witness fee... -  JanetK_CA on 6/5/24 2:53pm
 Today, a witness will probably want more'n they're paying us n/m - Lee/AR on 6/5/24 4:24pm
 The few times that someone actually does not want to provide - ananotary on 6/5/24 6:28pm
 With today's salaries, this seems a reasonable witness fee n/m - Lee/AR on 6/5/24 6:44pm
 Re: I have paid $25 or $50 depending on the circumstances -  Teresa/FL on 6/5/24 7:38pm
 Re: I have paid $25 or $50 depending on the circumstances - ananotary on 6/6/24 8:39am
 Interesting responses... - FeliseSoCal on 6/6/24 4:34pm
 Re: Interesting responses... - SteveS/CA on 6/6/24 4:42pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.