Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Ramifications of impeachment
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/20/19 5:05pm Msg #73035
"What many have chosen to overlook is the fact that there were NO FACTS presented in the impeachment "trial".
Hearsay, feelings and opinions are what was offered, none of which would be admissible in a court of law."

No one is overlooking anything, other than the Trump supporters.

First of all, the trial happens in the Senate, not the House. Rules of evidence and due process only apply in court. Hearsay is permitted in a grand jury investigation, for instance, and an impeachment inquiry is similar to a grand jury.

The Senate will decide the rules for the trial, including what type of evidence will be permitted. Beyond that, there were several fact witnesses who testified in the hearings - for instance, those who listened in on the call, one who overheard Amb. Sondland's call with Trump, and others who had direct knowledge of the facts presented in their testimony.

This is not about using a political tool when all else fails. Trump has adopted the position that he can do anything he wants; he has no knowledge of or regard for our Constitution, and no concern for the law. I don't believe he's ever read the Constitution, because if he had he would know that his power has limits.

Putting aside what I personally think about him and his policies, it's clear to me from the evidence presented that in this instance, he violated his oath of office by putting his personal interest ahead of our national security interests and then attempted to cover it up. He practically dared the House to impeach him, and they did. He earned this impeachment, and regardless of what the Senate decides to do he's going to carry that badge of dishonor long after he's gone.

PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Ramifications of impeachment - HisHughness on 12/13/19 8:19pm
 Re: Ramifications of impeachment - MikeC/TX on 12/14/19 4:44pm
 Re: Ramifications of impeachment -  Dennis_IN on 12/19/19 8:41am
 Re: Ramifications of impeachment - MikeC/TX on 12/20/19 5:05pm
 Re: Ramifications of impeachment - HisHughness on 12/20/19 11:48pm
 I don't know about that, Hugh. - Moneyman/TX on 12/24/19 10:38am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.