Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Well, just saying
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/30/19 6:32pm Msg #73058
"I am all for wind farms, but I would think they could make a small wire protective screen around each fan perhaps or set up some ultrasonic sounds to detere flying creatures from wanting to go in there?"

The turbines do make noise - that's why they're always located a distance away from residential areas. I've read that the noise level is roughly equal to a window air conditioner. They're not nearly as noisy as Trump claims they are, they don't spew toxic chemicals into the air, and they don't cause cancer (another of his bogus claims).

I'm not an engineer, but I think that encasing the blades within some sort of protective cage (such as is done with fans) is either impractical or would significantly add to the cost; otherwise, they would have done it. Airports use ultrasound to try keep birds away from the runways, but they still manage to get sucked into the jet engines.

Large numbers of birds are also killed by flying into the windows of tall buildings, because to the bird it probably looks like they're flying into open space; Trump Tower is one of those buildings.

I don't know what the solution is, but I know that wind power is a great renewable source of energy. Here in TX, wind power is a significant component of our energy grid, because we have a lot of wind.

Fossil fuels (coal and oil) are not the answer because they pollute the atmosphere. Nuclear has proven to be dangerous (Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, Fukushima, etc.). Wind, solar, geothermal, and hydrogen fuel cells all generate electricity safely, don't add to the carbon footprint, and are renewable sources of energy. These are what we should be focusing on rather than trying to resurrect a dead coal industry just because we have a POTUS who is stuck in the 1950's.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Donald Trump explains windmills - MikeC/TX on 12/23/19 6:31pm
 Does anyone in GOP fact ck this idiot? I’m beyond perplexed n/m - sigtogo/OR on 12/26/19 4:36pm
 Re: Does anyone in GOP fact ck this idiot? I’m beyond perplexed - MikeC/TX on 12/26/19 5:28pm
 ah, I see you are trying to find logic in the illogical:) - sigtogo/OR on 12/26/19 6:20pm
 Re: ah, I see you are trying to find logic in the illogical:) - MikeC/TX on 12/26/19 6:55pm
 Well, just saying - Luckydog on 12/27/19 9:34pm
 Re: Well, just saying - MikeC/TX on 12/28/19 5:45pm
 Re: Well, just saying - Luckydog on 12/28/19 7:20pm
 Sounds like they should outlaw cats... n/m - shooterclay on 12/28/19 11:16pm
 Spay and neuter should be the law n/m - Luckydog on 12/29/19 9:32am
 agreed.. n/m - shooterclay on 12/29/19 7:24pm
 Re: Well, just saying - MikeC/TX on 12/30/19 6:32pm
 Re: Well, just saying - Luckydog on 12/31/19 5:10pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.