Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Here is an idea
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 7/20/21 3:06pm Msg #79001
It’s really sad and frustrating to see loved ones continue to refuse vaccination.

I saw an interview with a Michigan doctor who said that he did not blame the people for being unvaccinated, rather he placed blame on those who intentionally create and benefit from marketing and selling misinformation.

My 30 year old niece remains unvaccinated. She has a 3 year old daughter, an unvaccinated husband with a large extended family all of whom are unvaccinated. And she is due to give birth next week. She’s smart, educated, well-read, is a social-worker who works very hard helping others, loves her family and believes she is doing the right thing. She now attends a super church which does not agree with vaccination. She has come to distrust her own instincts, and believes that the negative "reports" she reads on the internet about vaccines are more reliable that her own doctor’s advice. Although she calls it “conspiracy theories,” she’s still following suit.

I’m trying to have conversations with her about vaccination without alienating her, but it is very difficult. She’s told me that she can’t really talk about the issue with my family (her parents, siblings etc.), because the conversation gets shut-down very quickly, with each retreating to their respective sides. She said that she feels it’s all a “mixed-up ball” of politics, family, church, wanting to be a good wife and mother, fear of the vaccine affecting her pregnancy, and simply being overwhelmed and not knowing what to do. I suggested that she try to unpack the ball and separate things out – taking things out of the equation like politics - and discuss a risk assessment plan with her doctor – the risk of vaccination vs. risk of getting covid. I’m very concerned about her, as are many on the family.

I hope to continue having somewhat of an opening for conversation, and to at least steer her in the direction of considering listening to her doctors. In our talks, I only have a few minutes to tread lightly before she retreats her opinions and the topic is not longer on the table to discuss.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Here is an idea - Bob_Chicago on 7/17/21 10:58am
 Re: Here is an idea - Luckydog on 7/17/21 11:40am
 Re: Here is an idea - MikeC/TX on 7/19/21 6:45pm
 Re: Here is an idea - Luckydog on 7/20/21 9:31am
 Re: Here is an idea - SC/CA on 7/20/21 3:06pm
 Re: Here is an idea - Luckydog on 7/20/21 4:12pm
 Re: Here is an idea - SC/CA on 7/20/21 4:45pm
 Re: Here is an idea - bagger on 7/20/21 6:11pm
 P.S. Sounds like Jim Crow ideology. n/m - bagger on 7/21/21 9:44am
 I have to agree with Bob here - Luckydog on 7/22/21 7:33am
 Re: I have to agree with Bob here - bagger on 7/22/21 7:57am
 Re: I have to agree with Bob here - Luckydog on 7/22/21 9:19am
 Re: Here is an idea - bagger on 7/30/21 11:07am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.