Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

California Medigap Birthday Rule
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 12/11/21 2:40pm Msg #33917
Cheryl was right! ... about renewing a Medicare supplement plan after her birthdate in January, in CA that is. The below went into effect in CA the 2nd half of 2020. I had no idea until I received a letter today from my Supplement Insurance telling me I can change things up 60 days after my birthday, which is next month also. I guess Dec 7 no longer applies if you live in CA. Caveat is (it appears) you must enroll with a California carrier.

Letter says:

"Congratulations on your upcoming birthday. California residents with an existing Medicare Supplement policy have a 60-day open enrollment period, starting on their birthday, to replace their coverage. During this time, you can replace an existing policy with one that has comparable or fewer benefits and is offered by any Medicare Supplement carrier in California."

Of course, my carrier is in Cedar Rapids, IA.

http://www.medicare.org/articles/what-is-californias-medigap-birthday-rule/

"While the birthday rule has been in effect in California for several years, CA Senate Bill 407 expanded the annual switching time frame between Medigap plans from 30 to 60 days after a recipient’s birthday. The only restriction when using the birthday rule is that the switch must be to a plan with equal or lesser benefits. The new rule became effective on July 1, 2020."
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 California Medigap Birthday Rule - Bear900/CA on 12/11/21 2:40pm
 Re: California Medigap Birthday Rule - Carolyn Bodley on 12/12/21 10:02am
 Re: California Medigap Birthday Rule - Bear900/CA on 12/12/21 7:02pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.