Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Garden news
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 3/24/24 3:15pm Msg #36914
I know Cheryl has hers going. Hopefully others will get inspired.

Last few years I didn't plant until early or mid-April but this year we have an early Spring so great time to get some plants in the ground.

We spent half a day two weeks ago and topped off the five beds with new compost then planted seeds and seedlings. That's pretty early and was a bit of a gamble but timed it just right and it's now taking off. Lettuce is off to a fast start, and we should be able to start harvesting in a week or two. we planted several rows and varieties.

For seedlings we planted lettuce, chard, kale, spinach, eggplant, green onions, a variety of tomatoes, a variety of peppers and broccoli.

For seeds we planted cilantro, green onions, chives, radishes, butternut squash, Thai basil and arugula. May have planted more but can't remember. Radish and arugula are up and running.

We always mix herbs to repel some pests and attract predator bugs to kill the bad bugs. Herb seedlings we added are Thai basil, a lot of Italian basil and thyme, I have left-over parsley and oregano.

I put a dozen tomato plants in, mostly big reds and small golden delicious. Trying a couple of Aussi big reds that are supposed to grow to as much as two pounds. Will need to add a lot of phosphorus around the tomatoes and peppers to get bigger fruit.

I'll plant carrots mid-summer to harvest in fall and winter. Right now, they'd be in the way of early spring plants.

We're have shower/sun activity this weekend so took a sun break yesterday and planted a bunch of wildflower seeds along the fence and at the end of the garden beds. I did a bit of research on companion flowers and herbs for vegetables so upped my game this year by adding more basil along the tomatoes, chives along the kale and broccoli, and sweet alyssum which draws in predator bugs to eat things like aphids.

Two weeks ago, the garden looked scraggly and now it's starting to mature nicely. We've narrowed down to just planting what we eat.

Hope all are enjoying the early Spring. Great time to be outdoors! Reminds me, I need to plan a camping trip.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Garden news - Bear900/CA on 3/24/24 3:15pm
 Re: Garden news - SC/CA on 3/24/24 3:30pm
 Re: Garden news - Bear900/CA on 3/24/24 3:56pm
 With the hose! - Bear900/CA on 3/24/24 4:12pm
 Re: With the hose! - SC/CA on 3/25/24 6:43pm
 Re: Garden news -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/24/24 8:07pm
 Re: Garden news -  Yoli/CA on 3/25/24 11:57am
 Re: Garden news - Bear900/CA on 3/26/24 11:50pm
 Re: Garden news - Bear900/CA on 3/26/24 11:57pm
 Re: Garden news -  Yoli/CA on 3/28/24 12:08pm
 Re: Gophers - Bear900/CA on 3/28/24 1:13pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.