Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Thanks Michelle
Posted by Teresa/FL of FL on 7/17/17 10:32am Msg #578645
I did not post the website URL and I did not check the site myself, the manager of the business where the notarization was being performed did. He said it was not valid ID for notarization.

The document was a sales tax form used when buying a vehicle in one state that is going to be registered in another state. It allows the buyer to pay partial sales tax to Florida as long as the rest of the sales tax is paid where the vehicle is permanently registered. The business manager said his business does not accept temporary IDs due to his insurance company stipulations, so he was not comfortable with the ID.

I have seen IDs from many states, including Alabama, but have not seen a temporary ID like this one before. Since my ID checking guide did not show this, I was not comfortable with it.

When it comes down to it, I am responsible for following Florida notary laws. From F.S. 117.05(5):

A notary public may not notarize a signature on a document unless he or she personally knows, or has satisfactory evidence, that the person whose signature is to be notarized is the individual who is described in and who is executing the instrument. A notary public shall certify in the certificate of acknowledgment or jurat the type of identification, either based on personal knowledge or other form of identification, upon which the notary public is relying.

I was curious if Alabama notaries make a distinction between the temporary (paper) license and the hard plastic license. I could not find any information regarding ID requirements for Alabama when I searched online.

Thanks for the reply, Michelle.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Question for AL notaries RE: ID - Teresa/FL on 7/15/17 11:22am
 Re: Question for AL notaries RE: ID - PegiT_MN on 7/15/17 11:36am
 Not AL, but you really answered your own question - Lee/AR on 7/15/17 11:38am
 *I* did not go to the website to check the ID validity - Teresa/FL on 7/15/17 12:22pm
 Re: *I* did not go to the website to check the ID validity - Luckydog on 7/15/17 12:40pm
 Re: Question for AL notaries RE: ID -  Bluespiano42 on 7/16/17 8:00am
 Hi Teresa, -  Michelle/AL on 7/16/17 2:46pm
 Thanks Michelle - Teresa/FL on 7/17/17 10:32am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.