Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

My worst story with a drunk signer...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 3/6/18 4:03pm Msg #590804
I agree with others and would have handled it the same as you. I've run into lots of situations where I'm meeting with people who have just come home from work and it's clear that a routine part of their daily 'unwinding' involves a glass of wine - or several.

I've been amazed at many points in my life how well some people can function when they've had a few drinks, especially if it's a routine part of their life. But even that can be deceptive, so making sure they're with it and know what's going on, as Di did, is an important self-defense.

Having said that, however, I have had one instance where I walked away from a signing, early in my career. It was a disaster! First the guy was late. After he arrived and we were about to start signing, it quickly became apparent that he was falling down drunk and out of it. So I did something stupid. I excused myself, went to call my client, and in order to speak freely, stepped out onto their covered front porch (in the pouring rain...) I took my purse, journal and stamp, leaving my notary case (with the docs) at the table. I told the client this one wasn't going to happen, got their support, and turned to walk back in, but the front door was now locked!

I knocked (then pounded) on the door and was eventually let back in by his young kids, only to find out that they had rummaged through my notary case and helped themselves to things like pens, a stapler, non-seal stamps, etc. (Fortunately, no one was interested in the docs and there was nothing else of significance to anyone else in there.) I was strongly tempted to lash out, but instinctively went into teacher mode and managed to get everything back, while having a few stern (but controlled) words with them... The father had already made himself scarce. Probably passed out somewhere. Frankly, I felt bad for the kids, with a drunk for a father, but that kind of behavior is never acceptable and I let them know it! Wink [I saw no evidence of any other adults around. Frown]

That was one signing attempt I will never forget! I believe it did get rescheduled but I at least had enough good sense to refuse to go back there.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 adventures in notary last week...... - notarydi/CA on 3/5/18 4:05pm
 Re: adventures in notary last week...... -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/6/18 8:45am
 Re: adventures in notary last week...... - Yoli/CA on 3/6/18 9:30am
 Agree with Cheryl & Yoli - BearPaw/CO on 3/6/18 12:39pm
 thank you ladies for your responses..... - notarydi/CA on 3/6/18 1:29pm
 Re: thank you ladies for your responses..... - BearPaw/CO on 3/6/18 2:39pm
 My worst story with a drunk signer... -  JanetK_CA on 3/6/18 4:03pm
 Re: thank you ladies for your responses..... -  Cheryl Elliott on 3/6/18 5:05pm
 Re: adventures in notary last week...... -  Amigoaz on 3/6/18 2:58pm
 yeh, I had a 04/20 as well.....no thank you....:) n/m - notarydi/CA on 3/7/18 12:58am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.