Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Advice on Notarizing at a Jail?
Posted by  LKT/CA of CA on 5/21/15 7:17pm Msg #531264
<<<My question is: Can anyone offer any thoughts why other Notaries would not want to go to a county jail and notarize for an inmate?>>>

I've notarized a couple of times at detention centers - not worth the hassle. Lots of wait time and if facility is on lock-down when you arrive, you have to leave and come back with no info as to when the lock-down will be lifted. You just take your chances showing up later and hoping the lock-down was lifted.

As others stated - find out facility requirements for yourself. I had to take a clear tote bag with only the very essentials - photo ID, commission certificate (they kept a copy), journal, thumb printer, seal and ..........AND a pen *refill*.....no ink pens in its normal state allowed. They only let me take in the *refill*. Also, the desk sergeant went through the paperwork....would punch buttons on computer keyboard and say, "Nope, can't take this paper in...not this one either", etc. They scrutinized the paperwork the girlfriend of the inmate gave to me to take in. Also, girlfriend presented a general POA for inmate to sign which inmate refused to sign because he informed girlfriend that he only wanted her to close a bank account and would only sign a POA limited to that one task. Had to make a 2nd trip with the correct POA.

Does the sister have the inmate's ID in her possession or is there an inmate ID card issued to the inmate? Or did the police take the ID because the charge was a DUI? What does your state's notary laws say about the IDs you can accept? Make sure that you have that clear before going to the appt.

I was wise and got my fee upfront and in cash. Be sure to collect your fee in CASH before you step foot in the facility. Make that clear to the sister that you won't step foot into the facility before you collect the payment in cash. I refer ALL jail requests to a notary I know of who advertises that service.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Advice on Notarizing at a Jail? - goodgirl on 5/21/15 2:56pm
 Re: Advice on Notarizing at a Jail? -  Linda_H/FL on 5/21/15 3:12pm
 Re: Advice on Notarizing at a Jail? - goodgirl on 5/21/15 3:42pm
 No 1 rule: Dont' wear a wire bra - BearPaw/CO on 5/21/15 3:16pm
 Re: No 1 rule: Dont - goodgirl on 5/21/15 3:35pm
 Re: No 1 rule: Dont - Luckydog on 5/21/15 8:33pm
 Don't know about CO but in CA we can refuse to notarize - Belinda/CA on 5/21/15 7:25pm
 The way I see that issue... -  JanetK_CA on 5/22/15 7:48pm
 not me - Luckydog on 5/21/15 3:17pm
 Re: not me - goodgirl on 5/21/15 3:39pm
 been there - Darlin_AL on 5/21/15 4:04pm
 Re: been there - BearPaw/CO on 5/21/15 4:20pm
 Re: Advice on Notarizing at a Jail? -  Michelle/AL on 5/21/15 5:24pm
 Re: Advice on Notarizing at a Jail? -  LKT/CA on 5/21/15 7:17pm
 You should require payment upfront. Then if it does not - Belinda/CA on 5/21/15 7:29pm
 Re: You should require payment upfront. Then if it does not -  Joe Ewing on 5/21/15 11:17pm
 Re: You should require payment upfront. Then if it does not - Sandra G Holland on 5/22/15 9:40pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.