Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

The language of the document doesn't matter...
Posted by  Marian_in_CA of CA on 3/14/13 3:30am Msg #461100
The language a document is written in doesn't matter at all. What matters (for those of us in CA) is:

1) Can you communicate directly with the signer?
2) Can the signer tell you the nature of the document?

We can't make the determination that one actually comprehends the content of a document. I think that crosses a line of making legal or medical determinations that are way outside our job duties. We need to stick the the ability to communicate requirement. Using that as an excuse to get out of a notarization is the best way... WITHOUT bringing up things like, "This person doesn't understand what he/she is signing..." To me, that's dangerous ground and I won't go there.

Frankly, it's NONE of my business if they actually understand everything or not. If they can tell me, lucidly and voluntarily, what the general nature of the document happens to be and I can have a conversation with them (in any form... verbal, notes, texting, etc.) then I'm okay with notarizing their signature because I've done my job.

In this case, given your limited Spanish skills, I'd have turned it way too... only for the reason that you need to be able to communicate with her directly. Since she said you were a NOtario, that's a big red flag and needed her to understand the difference. If your Spanish wasn't good enough to determine that, then yeah... you did the right thing.

Remember, our handbooks tell us that we're allowed to notarize documents in another language, even if we can't read it. We are specifically told that the content is not our concern. That goes for documents in English, too.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 P.O.A that I regret I didn't notarize... -  Raj Sahu on 3/13/13 4:55pm
 Re: P.O.A that I regret I didn't notarize... -  Notarysigner on 3/13/13 5:03pm
 Re: P.O.A that I regret I didn't notarize... -  Raj Sahu on 3/13/13 5:14pm
 Re:i RE-READ your post, you did it right IMO. n/m -  Notarysigner on 3/13/13 5:14pm
 Do NOT regret, you were correct..IMO - Jessica/FL on 3/13/13 5:22pm
 Re: Do NOT regret, you were correct..IMO - TamaraCA on 3/13/13 5:25pm
 Re: P.O.A that I regret I didn't notarize... -  Raj Sahu on 3/13/13 5:24pm
 Lost in Translation - Jessica/FL on 3/13/13 5:32pm
 Re: Lost in Translation -  Raj Sahu on 3/13/13 5:36pm
 Re: Lost in Translation - MikeC/TX on 3/13/13 5:52pm
 Re: Good job Mike I couldn't get pass the word "implied" n/m -  Notarysigner on 3/13/13 6:02pm
 Re: Lost in Translation - Jessica/FL on 3/13/13 7:54pm
 Here's my problems with this scenario -  Linda_H/FL on 3/13/13 5:43pm
 Re: P.O.A that I regret I didn't notarize... -  JanetK_CA on 3/13/13 6:34pm
 The language of the document doesn't matter... -  Marian_in_CA on 3/14/13 3:30am
 Re: Marian,..think about this?? -  Notarysigner on 3/14/13 10:17am
 Re: The language of the document doesn't matter... -  Raj Sahu on 3/14/13 2:11pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.