Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah
Posted by  Yoli/CA of CA on 12/4/17 6:12pm Msg #587184
I think you may be confusing apples with oranges. In my opinion:

1. "When I called the lieutenant governor's office the woman said that notaries cannot take funds of more than the $5 per signature."

Means you can only charge $5 per signature when acting as a notary public. I would expand that to mean signatures being notarized.

2. " ... are now able to take settlement checks and Curry them to the title company .... "

Am I correct in assuming you mean "carry" rather than "Curry"? If so, one scenario would be when a loan is short-to-fund. When that happens, the borrowers must accompany the signing of the documents by either wiring the funds or giving a (cashier's) check in the amount stated on the ALTA. Wiring directly to TC (title company). Most states allow the (cashier's) check be given by the borrowers to the notary signing agent to include with signed package back to TC. I believe VA does not allow NSA to handle funds.

When we're accommodating a loan signing, we wear two hats - notary public and signing agent, thus, Notary Signing Agent (NSA).

To OP: Nothing wrong with being new. However, as a NSA, you will be dealing with what may be someone's largest investment of their life. To make this a happy and celebratory occasion for them, I would strong suggest you make yourself fully knowledgeable in your state's notary laws and procedures.

Procedure varies from state to state. What is acceptable in CA may not be acceptable in UT. Please take this into consideration when reading our responses.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/4/17 5:32pm
 I don't know anything about Utah law, but info from XYZ (the -  MW/VA on 12/4/17 5:57pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  Yoli/CA on 12/4/17 6:12pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  JanetK_CA on 12/4/17 7:43pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/4/17 9:53pm
 Does Utah allow for using temporary drivers license as ID? -  sigtogo/OR on 12/4/17 11:28pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  JanetK_CA on 12/5/17 2:12am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/5/17 4:38am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Luckydog on 12/5/17 8:57am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/5/17 6:26pm
 Re: Temporary driver license -  Doris_CO on 12/5/17 6:42pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Luckydog on 12/5/17 8:50am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.