Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 12/5/17 2:12am Msg #587213
"There is only so much education I can absorb before diving in."

That may be true, but your experience kind of proves the point about how essential it is to know your state's notary law backwards and forwards FIRST. It's great that you're retaking courses (presumably about being a signing agent?), but knowing your stuff as a notary isn't the kind of thing you should figure out as you go... I agree with Sigtogo/OR that the title co may tell you anything just to get the deal done and keep their client (the lender) happy. YOU are the one whose signature is on the line and whose commission (and possibly much more) is at risk!

For whatever it's worth, my state doesn't allow temporary DLs to be used because they don't have all the elements my state requires. (I have no idea about Utah.) However, a wrong address wouldn't be an issue for me, as CA doesn't issue new DLs when someone changes their address. People move all the time, but an address doesn't prove their identity. On the other hand, does the signature match and the physical description of the person? And does the photo look like them? Does a temp DL in Utah even have a photo??

Most importantly, what does your state notary law say about what ID is acceptable and what isn't? That's the kind of thing you should know before you "dive in"! I can't count how many times I've been asked to do something by a title co that wasn't legal in my state.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I know it took some guts to come back here and provide feedback on how things went. But please do take these recommendations seriously - for your own good!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/4/17 5:32pm
 I don't know anything about Utah law, but info from XYZ (the -  MW/VA on 12/4/17 5:57pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  Yoli/CA on 12/4/17 6:12pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  JanetK_CA on 12/4/17 7:43pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/4/17 9:53pm
 Does Utah allow for using temporary drivers license as ID? -  sigtogo/OR on 12/4/17 11:28pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah -  JanetK_CA on 12/5/17 2:12am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/5/17 4:38am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Luckydog on 12/5/17 8:57am
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Ashlin/UT on 12/5/17 6:26pm
 Re: Temporary driver license -  Doris_CO on 12/5/17 6:42pm
 Re: Taking settlement closing checks in Utah - Luckydog on 12/5/17 8:50am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.