Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: 130,000 acres today are the latest stats
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 12/8/17 12:44pm Msg #587372
"In hurricanes, that's what they do."

Every natural disaster, it's ferocity, foot-print area affected, population density, business concentration, evacuation ability, state and location, police, fire and disaster coordination, public response, has it's own unique parameters and capabilities/restrictions.

"Why are people still conducting business when the place is on fire and ash blowing around?"

Most of the reasons above apply. Fire may cover a large area but it does not cover all the area. I've personally noted that alerts, mandatory evacuations, locking down of neighborhoods before re-entry, has been very effective in this stream of fires. That may be a luck of the draw in a few cases but I have observed complete cooperation between police, firefighters AND people paying heed and more so, being proactive in their planning and evacuation. Southern CA may have more experience at this and may also have also learned a great lesson from the Santa Rosa/ Napa fires.

Ash and smoke - Schools colleges and some businesses have closed at various times and re-opened. The Santa Ana winds are easterly, blowing smoke out to the Pacific for a thousand miles. Our normal breezes are westerly so some of that is going to return in the next few days. It's already causing breathing problems is counties north such as Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Masks are being handed out free in affected areas and safety precautions are constantly being sent out to stay inside and only recirculate air while driving. I'm two hours north and the smoke is just starting to arrive and heading further north of me. You do what you can like hurricane victims in waster high water for days on end. You just contend. No crocodiles though.

"Shouldn't they be keeping the roads clear and safe for those leaving and get people out of there?"

There have been at one point 300,000 evacuees which says that people are paying attention and following orders to evacuate when the fire turns toward them. Since there's no certainty of the direction of a fire, people stay on alert (hopefully) and leave as needed. The direction of evacuation can be many or several directions. The freeway closures and gridlocks have affected commuter traffic much more than evacuees who have mostly left the area before the fire hits the freeways. Police have closed freeways to commuters as needed.

"Maybe it looks worse on TV than what it is, and not a widespread as it seems? "

It' much worse if your home is in the line of fire. 'Widespread' is relative to where you live but also consider there are about half a dozen fires going on at the same time all over SoCal. That's pretty widespread.

"Not making sense to me why lenders and title companies are still closing homes when there is a possibility of the property burning down. Insurance companies are still issuing policies?"

The possibility of wildfire exists no matter what state, so insurance prices average out, though policies will go up and down based on perceived immediate fire danger. Are they closing loans on homes in a neighborhood that is on fire? I doubt it. Interesting that basic hazard insurance covers fires including wildfires. Flood and earthquake insurance costs more.

Conspiracy theories (which I don't buy into) are rapidly coming out now because there has been such a 'perfect storm' of events leading up to the fires, and the intense heat of the fire themselves.

Example:
When you typically see a house that has burned, there is still some structure, even wooden structure remaining. These homes are burnt to the ground, including toilets, bathtubs, rock walls, cinder block walls, glass windows, etc., gone, not fallen on the ground, gone. The temperature has to be metal-forge hot, yet trees and some plastic toys outside of the home are left standing. Figure that one out (not to add to conspiracy theories. Just odd). Putting water on a roof may sometimes help but it just takes an ember going under the eves or in a broken window and the house is toast.

Regardless of all that, the saddest thing I saw yesterday was a fire captain and his family who returned to their house to see it gone. He was putting out someone else's fire. Imagine how his wife felt.

Then of course you had this guy which is good for a smile:
http://www.wthr.com/article/watch-man-chases-rabbit-saves-it-from-california-fire
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/7/17 8:43am
 Stay safe! Praying for everyone affected by the fires. -  MW/VA on 12/7/17 9:17am
 Re: Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open - FNP on 12/7/17 9:18am
 Re: Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open - SteveS/CA on 12/7/17 10:27am
 Re: Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open - Luckydog on 12/7/17 10:53am
 Re: Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open -  Ilene C. Seidel on 12/7/17 1:11pm
 Re: Stay home if you can...101 shut down northbound, south open -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/7/17 3:38pm
 Getting a Little close to home for some family - Bear900/CA on 12/7/17 5:41pm
 Re: Getting a Little close to home for some family -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/7/17 7:10pm
 115000 acres tonight are the latest stats -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/7/17 10:33pm
 Re: 115000 acres tonight are the latest stats - Luckydog on 12/8/17 7:14am
 Re: 115000 acres tonight are the latest stats -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/8/17 7:23am
 Re: 130,000 acres today are the latest stats - Bear900/CA on 12/8/17 12:44pm
 Braved the 101. Investment closing at bank branch the beach -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/8/17 12:45pm
 The largest fire area in CA, topped at 143K, 10% contained -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/9/17 11:00am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.