Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Getting closer all the time...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 5/23/18 11:56pm Msg #593789
Lots of good comments above, so I just have a few more thoughts to add.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm going to recap some basics. First, you're on the right track to add in something for your time, but technically, that's not a 'cost', which typically refers to money out-of-pocket. Our time is paid for in profit, i.e. the difference between our costs (outgo) and our fees (income). It's just a different way to look at it.

I think the $.12/page for printing (or $24 for 200 pages) sounds like a pretty accurate number for most of us, depending on what kind of equipment you have and where you buy supplies. However, $3/mile for travel seems excessive to me, too (unless you're driving a very expensive sports car or something Wink), but even so, the $4.30 doesn't make sense. The IRS calculated that the projected average cost of operating a vehicle in 2018 is $.545 per mile, which would be $27.25 for a RT of 50 miles. (That's also the rate at which we can deduct mileage expense on our Schedule C, if we use that method.) It could be more or less per individual, but let's go with that for illustration purchases.

So just for printing and travel, actual expenses come to $51.25. To that you'd have to add some figure to cover all the other fixed costs, overhead and administrative items not already calculated, plus some estimated taxes. (See lists by schlub/NC and MW/VA above.) I don't know what would be realistic numbers for you for those things, but if you project those costs over a year, divide by 12, then by how many signings you expect to average each month, you'll have some kind of an idea of what those figures should be for you.

Now, if you intend to have this business actually support you (and your family, if applicable), you need to figure out what you need to pay yourself in profit. That figure, again divided by average number of appointments per month, tells you how much you have to have left over, on average, after all business expenses are paid. That figure tells you what you need to charge to run a profitable business.

If you're not setting your fees that way, this process can at least tell you how much you're really making with the fees you're accepting now. For example, just for the sake of easy math, if we go back to the $100 fee example and assume that other overhead and taxes take an additional $20 per assignment, you're now left with less than $30 profit for that 4 hours of work - or just about what minimum wage is (minus any paid benefits a job might offer...)

NSAs who don't take the time to figure this all out in advance may end up at the end of the year finding out that they haven't made any profit at all, once ALL their expenses are calculated. Worse yet, particularly if you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) have other income, your business could be classified as a hobby (e.g. if you make no profit for three years), and all your expenses could be disallowed as deductions. That could lead to a pretty substantial tax bill on top of everything else!

So much for 'just a few thoughts...' Sorry! Wink
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Adjusted my Cost Calculator - William Siders on 5/23/18 7:42am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - clpflorida on 5/23/18 8:41am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - William Siders on 5/23/18 8:47am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - Luckydog on 5/23/18 8:55am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - SBS/WV on 5/23/18 9:34am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - Lee/AR on 5/23/18 9:05am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - SBS/WV on 5/23/18 9:47am
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator - Luckydog on 5/23/18 9:51am
 I don't think your formulas take everything into acct. -  MW/VA on 5/23/18 10:31am
 Re: I don - schlub/NC on 5/23/18 4:24pm
 You didn't take taxes into acct. either. You have Federal -  MW/VA on 5/23/18 5:19pm
 Re: Adjusted my Cost Calculator -  ikando on 5/23/18 9:48pm
 Getting closer all the time... -  JanetK_CA on 5/23/18 11:56pm
 Re: Getting closer all the time... -  JanetK_CA on 5/24/18 12:06am
 Re: Getting closer all the time... - Luckydog on 5/24/18 12:05pm
 Re: Getting closer all the time... -  Greg Wilson on 5/24/18 7:44pm
 Forgot one reason - Linda_H/FL on 5/25/18 8:40am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.