Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Also agree, however, a precaution...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 6/25/19 2:39pm Msg #607898
The seasoned pros on this forum (like VT_Syrup) already know this stuff, so this is mostly for Marissa and any newer folks.

This type of situation - most common with commercial, & construction loans, contracts, etc. - is where we need to take every precaution to prevent the possibility of misuse of certificates. Specifically at issue is where there are two certificates, e.g. one for husband, one for wife, and a notary who typically leaves space after writing in the signer's name and doesn't specify the pronouns (he, she, they) by underlining, circling, crossing out or whatever.

It would be fairly easy for someone to remove one of those certificates, add the second name to the first cert, and attach the second cert to a different document the signer(s) have either never seen (with a faked signature) or perhaps signed in the tc office, but the notary never witnessed the signature(s) on it and doesn't have it in his/her journal. Is this likely to happen? No. Could it happen or has it happened in the past? Undoubtedly - and those situations can lead to notary nightmares...

To prevent this, I look for things like bar codes, page numbers, pre-printed document names on certificate pages, etc., that tie them all together. If none of those exist, then I'd probably add cross-references on both the signature page(s) and notary certificate, depending on the circumstances.

One more thing to look out for... I had a great example just yesterday with a couple who were each signing in multiple capacities. On one document, there were a total of 9 signatures, followed by 10 notary certificates... (Yes, I counted both.) Fortunately, they were the right certificates, all the pages were numbered and the document name was preprinted at the top of every page. Why were there 10 certificates? I concluded that the last one was a backup, for "just in case", as there was no name printed into that certificate, unlike the others. I didn't need it, so I ended up removing it from the package. However, to figure that out, it of course meant matching the number of signatures for each person (different for each) with the number of certificates vs. just filling them all out.

As I'm sure most on this forum already know, completing a blank certificate that's not attached to a document is a big no-no. It's an invitation for fraud. There's no way we can ever know how much fraud we may have prevented by simply taking a few extra steps when carrying out our duties to make it more difficult for someone who is trying to either cut corners or do something illegal.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Multiple names in one certificate -  VT_Syrup on 6/25/19 11:49am
 Re: Multiple names in one certificate -  VT_Syrup on 6/25/19 12:00pm
 Well stated in both posts...Agreed n/m - LisaKT/CA on 6/25/19 1:12pm
 Also agree, however, a precaution... -  JanetK_CA on 6/25/19 2:39pm
 Re: Also agree, however, a precaution... - Marissa Monjaras on 6/26/19 10:54am
 pronouns - Clem/CA on 6/26/19 2:04pm
 Re: pronouns -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 2:13pm
 Re: pronouns -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 2:56pm
 Re: pronouns -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 3:42pm
 Thanks! Definitely a 'short' form! ;>) n/m -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 3:56pm
 Re: Thanks! Definitely a -short- form! -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 5:27pm
 Re: pronouns -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 2:52pm
 No, I don’t ask - LisaKT/CA on 6/26/19 6:32pm
 Re: Multiple names in one certificate - Marissa Monjaras on 6/26/19 10:51am
 You're welcome! n/m - LisaKT/CA on 6/26/19 11:47am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.