Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: pronouns
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 6/26/19 2:52pm Msg #607929
So far, I haven't run into anything related to that in my notary travels, but I've just recently started hearing mention of that approach. I confess it's taking some adjustment in my thinking, but I prefer to take a non-judgmental approach to everyone (unless some individual has given me a strong reason not to). And no, I've never asked, but so far, I've not run into a situation where there was any question. (I am in Orange County - but even here, I imagine it's only a matter of time... Wink)

In fact, I was just thinking about this in relation to notary certificates because I saw this article this morning, which appears to be going viral: http://www.oprahmag.com/life/work-money/a27921531/how-to-share-gender-pronouns-workplace/?utm_source=pocket-newtab.

I'm not sure what the solution is for us, but if single individuals are referring to themselves as "they", then that's potentially an issue for us. Perhaps there's someway we could add something after the "they" to indicate that we're referring to one person, maybe an "S" for solo or single? I don't know. I'm not even sure that's a good idea, but frankly, I think it may be more important for a certificate to be clear about how many signers there are than what gender the signer is/claims/identifies as. Ultimately, it's probably an issue that should be addressed by state legislatures.

Collectively, we probably need to stay tuned in to this issue...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Multiple names in one certificate -  VT_Syrup on 6/25/19 11:49am
 Re: Multiple names in one certificate -  VT_Syrup on 6/25/19 12:00pm
 Well stated in both posts...Agreed n/m - LisaKT/CA on 6/25/19 1:12pm
 Also agree, however, a precaution... -  JanetK_CA on 6/25/19 2:39pm
 Re: Also agree, however, a precaution... - Marissa Monjaras on 6/26/19 10:54am
 pronouns - Clem/CA on 6/26/19 2:04pm
 Re: pronouns -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 2:13pm
 Re: pronouns -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 2:56pm
 Re: pronouns -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 3:42pm
 Thanks! Definitely a 'short' form! ;>) n/m -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 3:56pm
 Re: Thanks! Definitely a -short- form! -  VT_Syrup on 6/26/19 5:27pm
 Re: pronouns -  JanetK_CA on 6/26/19 2:52pm
 No, I don’t ask - LisaKT/CA on 6/26/19 6:32pm
 Re: Multiple names in one certificate - Marissa Monjaras on 6/26/19 10:51am
 You're welcome! n/m - LisaKT/CA on 6/26/19 11:47am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.