Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Going through the same thing right now.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 12/11/19 11:07pmMsg #613393
Cheryl, I think you may have forgotten about one phone because the Note 5 was just released in August of 2015, which was about when I got my Note 5. It had started doing the same thing. Wouldn't hold a charge very well and I thought I was losing calls (which might have been because of upgrades T-mobile was doing in the area, but I didn't know about that until later.) I love the Note, but didn't want to shell out the kind of cash they want for the 10 or 10+, so I grabbed the last Note 9 available in the area from Costco for half the price. That was last month - and I'm perfectly happy with it. The battery is awesome! I think, though, that if I had insurance and could have gotten a replacement for free, I'd have been happier Wink

This month, it's laptop replacement time, due solely to MS no longer supporting Win 7. (Grrrr....) I found a great deal online for a nice Dell, also from Costco, and it got here Monday, a day early. Now I'm about to face the fun part of getting all my data transferred and connected.

I also need to get some new software, especially MS Office. MS is again offering a non-cloud option with Office 2019 (but only licensed for one device), which I think is what I'll do. To me, paying a subscription forever and constantly having to deal with upgrades, like with Office 365, doesn't appeal. I don't see always having the latest version as an advantage, as I doubt I'll have a need for any of the latest stuff. Also, it's just one more thing that can go wrong or give me grief, (i.e. learning something new, compatibility with older stuff) and I don't need to have access on multiple devices. (I hope I won't be sorry about that later - but then I can always switch over.)

BTW, a precaution for anyone thinking about going the same route... I'd seen very cheap offers of MS Office software online from various sources. The first one I checked out had lots of positive reviews and looked very attractive. However, when I started reading some of the glowing 5 star reviews, I noticed that there were lots of very similar sounding grammatical errors. So I looked up the name of the supplier and learned that there are many companies out there (probably from somewhere out of the country) selling bogus software that will go all buggy and stop working within weeks. (Possibly when MS discovers an unauthorized version when you try to receive updates...) Buyer beware... Frown

I did learn, though, that the MS Store, if you have one near you, offers free appointments for 15 minute segments of consultation and/or training - including on how to transfer data from one device to another. I made an appointment for Friday afternoon so I have the weekend to recover and adapt. I'll likely save enough by not hiring a tech guru to do this for me to pay for most of the MS Office software. Fingers crossed! (Also, rather than using OneDrive, I'm using an external hard drive to transfer data.)

If anyone who's done this themselves has any advice, I'm all ears! (Last laptop upgrade upgrade was 7+ years ago and I paid someone else to do it.)

PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/11/19 5:33pm
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - Mobile1/PA on 12/11/19 6:10pm
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/11/19 6:19pm
 I really wanted to ask you, what phone have you upgraded to -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/11/19 6:10pm
 Re: I really wanted to ask you, what phone have you upgraded to - Jose Gutierrez on 12/11/19 7:49pm
 Going through the same thing right now. -  JanetK_CA on 12/11/19 11:07pm
 Spending wisely - coastal/CA on 12/12/19 11:05am
 Re: Spending wisely -  Yoli/CA on 12/12/19 11:41am
 Thanks, Yoli! Great info! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 12/12/19 2:28pm
 Re: Spending wisely -  JanetK_CA on 12/12/19 3:14pm
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - Donna McDaniel on 12/11/19 7:21pm
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - pdl/cali on 12/11/19 10:08pm
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/12/19 5:57am
 Re: Requiem for Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - shooterclay on 12/11/19 10:56pm
 Security is a big factor these days. -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/12/19 6:19am
 Re: Security is a big factor these days. -  VT_Syrup on 12/12/19 9:45pm
 Received and migrated my refurbished Note 5 last night -  Cheryl Elliott on 12/13/19 7:24am
 Thinking of switching to T-Mobile - Bear900/CA on 12/13/19 11:30pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.