Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #628954

5 replies
Is it starting again?
By Alz on 1/31/21 12:19pm

I conducted signings for a purchase of a new home in September and the sale of a residence in November of last year for this elderly person.

Just the other day, I was contacted by the same person to notarize two documents. As it turns out, the documents are for the recently purchased home, which is undergoing a loan modification.

Have I had my head buried in the sand and missed any discussion on loan modifications? Honestly, the last loan modification conducted by me was in April of 2013 for UST Global. You all remember them, right?

Does anyone have further insight?

Msg #628953

2 replies
recycle that printer
By Clem/CA on 1/31/21 11:36am

Generally, the best way for clearing printer memory before recycling is to use the provided menu on the printer itself. Within the menu, there should be settings options for clearing data. On a Printer with a hard drive, this may be listed as a “restore to factory settings” option. On basic personal printers, the option will likely be shown as “delete print queue.”
Check your manufacture's instructions

Msg #628949

5 replies
New Jersey Notary Public Manual.
By  walthtz on 1/30/21 4:28pm

The Following is for any NJ Notary. The NJ Notary manual let Notaries to believe that an ID did not have to be valid to be accepted. That I can say has now been corrected.

Sometime ago a question was brought up that NJ Notaries do not have to accept a valid ID. I wrote to the state of NJ about this & am now pleased to report that the NJ State Notary Public Manual has been updated to reflect that NJ Notaries MUST accept a VALID ID.
The answer I rec'd is: Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Please be advised that the NJ Notary Manual has been updated to reflect that the identification MUST be "VALID".
Sincerely,
NJ Department of the Treasury
Division of Revenue and Enterprise

The NJ Notary Public Manual now reads:
Requirements for Taking an Acknowledgment or a Jurat; The Notary should: • Ensure that the signer appears before him/her and presents at least one form of valid identification (ID) that provides a physical description of the signer-- e.g., driver's license.
Note: Identification documents are not required if: 1) the signer is personally known to the Notary, or 2) a credible witness, known to both the signer and Notary, swears to the identity of the signer. • Review the document presented for completeness. This is not a formal legal review, such as would be performed by an accountant or an attorney. Rather, it is a review to ensure that there are no blanks in the document. Should blanks be discovered, the signer must either fill them in or strike them out by drawing a line or "X" through them. • Ensure that the signer understands the title of the document and is signing freely and willingly. By obtaining positive ID and asking brief questions as to the title and basic substance of the document, the Notary can make these determinations. • Sign, date, and stamp an acknowledgment certificate (see Illustrations). The ink stamp should include the date on which the Notary's commission expires. The stamp should be placed next to, but not over, the Notary's signature. (If the Notary does not have an ink stamp, his/her name and commission expiration date must be printed or typed on the certificate as indicated.) • Make a journal entry. The journal entry provides evidence and an audit trail thereby protecting both the Notary and the general public. Required information includes: 1) date and time of notary act, 2) type of act (i.e., acknowledgment), 3) title of document, 4) date document was signed, 5) signature; printed name and address of each signer, and if applicable, each witness, and 6) form of ID -- e.g. identification document, personal knowledge, or credible witness. Note: Journals should be bound to prevent tampering. Journals may be obtained from stationers or professional associations. • Charge only the statutory fee ($2.50).

Msg #628939

10 replies
HLL 6200dwt Brother fuser
By jnew on 1/30/21 10:54am

The fuser life on this printer is over, according to the warning in the software. It seems to have lightened the print but only slightly. A new fuser assembly is around 200 dollars. A replacement printer equipped with drum and toner is 218.00 on Amazon. I kept the second tray and replaced the printer. Seems curious that repairing is the wrong option.

Msg #628929

3 replies
Resources for having a website built-
By JCT_NORCAL on 1/29/21 5:25pm

Hi all,
I’ve yet to get a simple website going, just to advertise my services and info. I can’t really do it myself, as I’m not literate to that degree w/ web work, and I’m uncertain where to start on my search. Obviously, I’ve googled resources but it’s a whole lot of “Here’s what you should do” or “Why you shouldn’t pay someone to do your website” type of stuff.
I know there’s centuries of experience on here, so I figured I’d ask you all. Mind you, I’m looking for something simple in layout and info, with simple pricing to go with it. I’m ok with finances, but not ok enough to be aggressive with something I truly don’t know the value of (yet), if you catch my drift.

Any insight, as always, would be greatly appreciated and I hope everyone is having a good end of their week!

Msg #628919

5 replies
Jamaica Notarization
By  Chris Parker on 1/29/21 9:29am

I have a person from Jamaica saying he's saying he will need his passport . So he will need to have a TRN application and a letter Notarized ( related to a real estate purchase in Jamaica) He said he was advised that the signature on the application and the letter must match. The notarization must on the same page as the signature page .

My question is : is there certain kind of acknowledgement needed for this Notarization . I am from IL i have never notarized anything from Jamaica

Msg #628909

13 replies
Mortgage Inspections
By  PJM/MI on 1/28/21 8:05am

Hello. I am aware that the NNA has published an article that if you want additional work to become a mortgage field inspector. I have 16 yrs experience in the mortgage field inspection industry. Due to the foreclosure moratorium, the number of inspections have dropped very low this year. The lenders cannot move forward with foreclosures which means inspections cannot move forward either. All of the inspectors and property preservation companies are hurting right now. If by chance you are lucky enough to jump into this game and you do get inspections, please don't fall for the "but there is volume". Do NOT accept the low inspection fee.

Msg #628893

9 replies
Fast and loose with the term "single"
By Kellosh/CA on 1/27/21 7:24pm

I accepted a last minute signing tonight via Snapdocs from First Signing Service. They pushed the order as "single doc" for $60. Even though that's on the low end, I had a last minute cancellation with one of my regulars and I figured something there was better than nothing. When I received the download, however, it turned out to be four docs, three of which were notarized. I asked for the fee to be increased to $75, which is still low but reflected the additional time and work. They refused, and tried to claim that any package under 25 pages is a single doc signing, regardless of how many individual documents it includes. (HA!) I informed them that four documents, three with notarization, requires me to spend more time and materials with the client to review and complete the signing. They were very condescending that they have "thousands of notaries," and this is "what everyone does."

No, it isn't, and no, it's not.

"Well, maybe you're new to this, but..."

"No, I've been doing this for almost twenty years, and I know what my time and experience is worth."

Told them to either increase the fee and treat me as a professional, or remove me from the signing. They immediately removed me. I immediately blocked them.

I was insulted by their attempt to redefine what "single" means. SINGLE MEANS SINGLE. The market value for me to do one document is $30 ($15x2signers). $60 last minute on a rainy night with a value of $30 of notary services is something I'm willing to accept to fill in a void. The market rate for three notarizations is $90. That ain't happening.

So unprofessional.

Msg #628891

1 replies
Letter size paper 23.99 per case online Office Depot
By  Cheryl Elliott on 1/27/21 7:21pm

Seems lkke a good deal to me.

Msg #628890

4 replies
Signing Services with Apps
By Brandon Gipson on 1/27/21 6:58pm

Hey, so I work a full-time job and want to do loan closings in the evenings and on weekends. I have a business phone number and email, but I miss out on a lot of opportunities because I'm at work. Does anybody have experience working with signing companies that only send out opportunities through an App on the phone? Who would you recommend?

Msg #628878

12 replies
"Do not use any pens with endorsements on them"
By Kellosh/CA on 1/27/21 11:19am

I'm scratching my head on this one. Never saw it in instructions before. I'm guessing they're saying in a roundabout way "Hey notary, no leaving your business card in the form of a pen with the signers." But really? Has anyone ever seen this before. Am I reading it right?

Msg #628874

3 replies
Optimism ...
By  Yoli/CA on 1/27/21 9:51am

Had a signing yesterday with a lovely, lively gentleman. He just turned 90-years-old and is retired commercial airline pilot. When I wished him a happy belated, he said "yep, just celebrated the big one!" Wink Maybe just in my experience, but, I remember when 40 was "the big one." He's very fit and talk about mental alacrity! He's in great shape and doesn't look a day over 60.

He's refinancing into a 30-year fixed conventional with some cash out.

Gotta love it! Smile

Msg #628862

8 replies
SOS sent back copy of passport with
By  canotaryhere on 1/26/21 7:25pm

a letter to get it notarized properly and then send it back to them.
The person had sent the original passport to SOS and that is what they returned was a copy, the original and a letter to get it notarized properly and send it back

Msg #628838

7 replies
6 to 9 inches of snow along West shore of Lake Michigan. n/m
By jnew on 1/26/21 8:44am

Msg #628829

16 replies
4506-T and 4506-C
By MariaMO on 1/25/21 10:24pm

Both in triplicate for each borrower. Yuck. 4506 C replacing 4506-T in March. Guess they want to make sure they're covered until then.

Msg #628828

7 replies
1.750% on 30yr VA refi loan today
By  Cheryl Elliott on 1/25/21 10:22pm

With rates like this, the biz is going to be brisk for months to come. January exceeded Oct, Nov or Dec. Just gotta know who to work for.

Msg #628827

2 replies
Durable Power of Attorney signing first thing this morning
By  Cheryl Elliott on 1/25/21 9:29pm

The gentleman's only son called me to request I come as soon as possible because his father is slipping fast and hospice just left the home. I threw my clothes on and grabbed my stack of files, tools and gulped down my coffee (I slept in for a change). I was not fully awake when I sped to their location.
The son explained to me his father wasn't going to be getting up, as he stayed in bed all weekend. Father was in the WWII serving in Europe and had quite a stellar career as an honored vet.

Son led me to his father's room, and 97-yo greeted me, and said "forgive me for not getting up", he is a true gentleman. I began asking him questions about his army career, and once he started he couldn't stop. He then told me his father had served in WWI in the army too. I engage elderly folks to make sure they are cognizant, aware and signing under their own power. I had him sign the document, then sign my journal with a fingerprint as required. After about 10 minutes into the history of his army career, he tired and fell into a nap.

It was epic. One of the best signings I've had in a long time. I'll be going back soon, as the son and nephew also in attendance do not have their trust documents in order either. I gave them a little pep talk.

Msg #628823

4 replies
Sharon Couch
By IAC on 1/25/21 7:51pm

Has anyone heard of Sharon Couch

Msg #628822

2 replies
Notarize 247 Offering $75.00 For A Refi With Full Fax Backs!
By PegiT_MN on 1/25/21 4:50pm

And this is one of the many reasons why they are rated as a 2.5 star company.

Msg #628814

8 replies
Universal Notary out of Rancho Mirage, California
By MrMendez on 1/25/21 1:58pm

Hello,

Has anyone done any recent work for Universal Notary out of Rancho Mirage, California? And were you paid promptly? Please advise. Thanks.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.