Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Faema, no reason to panic ...
Posted by BobbiCT of CT on 5/17/19 6:36am Msg #606487
Call the attorney who issued the subpoena.

1. If you had the journal, he can only see the entries specific to the case/client he is working on. Tell him you didn't keep a 2010 journal. Telling THE PLAIN unadorned, no excuses TRUTH now is better than backtracking later.

2. Ask him which person. Tell him you are willing to come to his office to review the document to see if you recognize YOUR signature, seal, venue and jog your memory. It's possible you will remember something.

In my MANY years of being a Notary PUBLIC, I have been deposed quite a few times. Including having a State Trooper show up at my door at 1 am in the morning (interesting story but I did it RIGHT that morning - whereas signer and his witness [now in jail cells] both swore signer was forced into signing document).

In a no journal 25 cent PUBLIC notary state (up to $2 now), I have no worries. I follow the law and the SAME PROCEDURE every time. I keep a limited information journal (not required so signers are comforted that if my journal is stolen all the thief will get is my acronyms and that they signed a document on a certain date). Always review two forms of ID as law requires (even the neighbor); for a jurat, always have signer raise right hand and swear under penalty of perjury; always in person and a few friendly questions about document and casual things for ME to be comfortable with WILLINGNESS to sign. There is a reason you see my name in the back of the NNA Notary Code of Professional Responsibility. I am not everyone's favorite notary. Some attorneys like "my act," those that don't use another notary. I am not the go-to notary - unless it's 2 am in the morning and I'm lining up parents whose high school age children forget about the parental permission to leave the US for Canada. They were there, with 2 forms of ID in hand, and I had lots of pens for THEM to write out the acknowledgement block to move the line along before the buses left Smile My point: Even if I do not remember that specific notarization, I can swear on a stack of bibles what procedure I followed and that in my PERSONAL opinion the signer was "willing" to sign.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Journal Subpoena - famena on 5/15/19 4:17pm
 Re: Journal Subpoena - Lee/AR on 5/15/19 4:47pm
 Re: Journal Subpoena - Michelle/AL on 5/15/19 10:18pm
 I think you need to find out if a journal was required - Linda_H/FL on 5/16/19 6:54am
 Re: I think you need to find out if a journal was required - Yoli/CA on 5/16/19 7:56am
 Re: I think you need to find out if a journal was required - MikeC/TX on 5/16/19 5:25pm
 Re: I think you need to find out if a journal was required - BrendaTx on 5/24/19 1:51pm
 OT, but somewhat related question for general knowledge - Lee/AR on 5/16/19 7:45am
 Great Question For The Shoemakers Regarding E&O Policies . . -  PegiT_MN on 5/16/19 9:14am
 Re: Great Question For The Shoemakers Regarding E&O Policies . . -  JanetK_CA on 5/16/19 12:42pm
 Re: OT, but somewhat related question for general knowledge - MikeC/TX on 5/16/19 6:16pm
 Re: OT, but somewhat related question for general knowledge -  JanetK_CA on 5/17/19 12:59am
 Re: Journal Subpoena - Art_FL on 5/16/19 9:29am
 Faema, no reason to panic ... - BobbiCT on 5/17/19 6:36am
 Re: Great Point BobbtCT n/m -  OR on 5/17/19 2:23pm
 Re: Journal Subpoena Continued.. - famena on 5/22/19 9:03pm
 Re: Journal Subpoena - BrendaTx on 5/24/19 1:43pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.