Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: No! Minority opinion: States should not have same standards
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 1/24/20 1:44pm Msg #614952
I don't think there should be a link between commission fees & training requirements vs. allowable notarization fees.

The training requirements should be designed to produce competent notaries. But even with training, few people can remain competent without practice. What are the chances that a person could get a commission, not do any notarizations for 23 months, and then correctly carry out a notarization for a paralyzed person who can't write? The assumption should be that a competent notary will be carrying out a substantial number of notarizations, and if the notary charges fees, the total of the fees will dwarf the costs of a bond (see later), commission fee, and training cost.

As for bonds, usually the amount is some pittance like $1000, which isn't going to provide any noticeable help if someone's house title gets screwed up. From what I understand, notary bonds rarely pay out, and almost all the fees go administration cost and profit for the bonding company. It's like a toll bridge where all the money is paid to the toll keepers and nothing is spent on maintaining the bridge.

Some states, like mine, don't see any need to set fees; let competition determine the fees. But if a state thinks its necessary, it should be adjusted every 5 or ten years; if a state is going to leave it the same for a century, they'd be better off just doing away with notaries. The fee should be enough to cover the notary's time and ongoing expenses like insurance. And the time should allow for the fact that it takes at least as much time per notarization to do the marketing and bookkeeping as it does to do the notarization.

A few states limit the cost for mileage, and all the states that do that do it wrong. The notary isn't like a state employee who continues to draw her salary as she drives her private vehicle on state business. The notary is more like a taxi driver, where the fee per mile must reward the notary for the time spent driving as well as cover the expense of owing and operating the vehicle.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Signings starting to pick up. Nearly all junk. - NK_UT on 1/22/20 8:20pm
 Re: Signings starting to pick up. Nearly all junk. - Luckydog on 1/22/20 8:40pm
 I've kept pretty busy but that weather.. - CST on 1/22/20 9:32pm
 Welcome to January in notary world.......:) - notarydi/CA on 1/23/20 8:52am
 I am having a really slow January, I did take the first week - ananotary on 1/23/20 7:26pm
 Me, too. -  JanetK_CA on 1/23/20 11:58pm
 Re: Me, too. - CopperheadTX on 1/24/20 8:10am
 I agree. It would be great if all states had the same stand -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/24/20 10:20am
 Minority opinion: States should not have same standards - Lee/AR on 1/24/20 11:25am
 Re: Minority opinion: States should not have same standards -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/24/20 11:47am
 No! Minority opinion: States should not have same standards - Lee/AR on 1/24/20 12:34pm
 Re: No! Minority opinion: States should not have same standards -  VT_Syrup on 1/24/20 1:44pm
 Exactly, VT_Syrup. Needs much thought and no leaps of faith n/m - Lee/AR on 1/24/20 2:13pm
 Re: Me, too. -  JanetK_CA on 1/24/20 3:47pm
 Good time to refresh, renew, and enjoy the free time -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/24/20 7:51am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.