Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post
Posted by  Matt Miller of CA on 2/17/20 11:42am Msg #615843
pasted below:

Does the NNA Fight for Your Best Interest as a Notary?

I was recently asked this question in a conversation regarding my fight against the current state of Remote Online Notarization. I always assumed that with the name “National Notary Association” certainly it’s a nonprofit organization. But to be sure I asked a colleague of mine who has been a DC Bar Attorney specializing in taxation for over 20 years. With a little research of public records, it turns out that the NNA isn’t a nonprofit organization at all. The “National Notary Association” is simply a dba or “doing business as” name owned by NNA Services LLC, a for-profit corporation. First, it should be noted that corporations are formed for one reason and only one reason. That reason is to generate profits for the owners of the corporation, while at the same time exempting the ownership from any personal liability for anything the corporation does in pursuit of those profits.

It should also be noted that the NNA drafted the model legislation for Remote Online Notarization that is now sweeping the country and lobbies for said legislation all over the U.S. This legislation was written without the input of notary practitioners but rather by mortgage bankers, lawyers, business and technology companies. That’s right, not a single actively commissioned or retired notary was involved in the drafting process of RON legislation. Legislation that has fundamentally changed the office of Notary Public and weakened our society’s most reliable fraud and abuse prevention mechanism by handing it over to an industry that has proven by its own track record to be rife with fraud and abuse. And in doing so has threatened the safety of millions of Americans and the careers of hundreds of thousands of notaries all over the US.

So now you know, the NNA masquerades behind the word “association” to acquire your trust, sell you products and services and then uses that money to lobby for things that you never signed up for. Before you make that next dues payment, renew your bond and insurance or purchase a training package from the NNA, remember that you are handing over your hard-earned dollars to a for-profit corporation that doesn’t have your best interest in mind but rather, their own.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post -  Matt Miller on 2/17/20 11:42am
 Known XYZ is a for-profit co.for a long time, but many don't n/m - Lee/AR on 2/17/20 12:57pm
 Good for you, Matt. It's long overdue for someone to take -  MW/VA on 2/17/20 1:10pm
 Re: Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post - NK_UT on 2/17/20 1:58pm
 That's the sham--they sold the need & the demand. They -  MW/VA on 2/17/20 2:16pm
 XYZ Membership is NOT required -  Amigoaz on 2/18/20 8:03am
 Re: XYZ Membership is NOT required -  Yoli/CA on 2/18/20 10:04am
 Re: NNA Failure -  John/CT on 2/17/20 3:23pm
 Re: Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post -  JanetK_CA on 2/17/20 4:20pm
 Actually, they are both a profit & not-for-profit - Lee/AR on 2/17/20 4:36pm
 About the XYZ Foundation ... -  Yoli/CA on 2/17/20 5:18pm
 I second that nomination. In my entire career I have never - grapebed on 2/17/20 7:00pm
 People are deceived by the term "Foundation". It's a tax -  MW/VA on 2/20/20 9:43am
 Re: Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post -  Expeditor on 2/17/20 10:17pm
 Re: Thought you all might enjoy my latest blog post -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/20 11:45am
 Enjoa, before many of our members' time -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/20 11:47am
 How about Trusted Enrollment Agent...for which there - Linda_H/FL on 2/18/20 5:08pm
 How about immigration forms training, which should not exist -  VT_Syrup on 2/18/20 5:20pm
 Don't forget "recommended 'minimum' fees. ;>( n/m -  JanetK_CA on 2/18/20 11:35pm
 I thought that training was to become an - Linda_H/FL on 2/19/20 12:41pm
 Don't forget uber drivers fumbling with their apps -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/19/20 2:39pm
 Re: I thought that training was to become an -  VT_Syrup on 2/19/20 3:43pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.