Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: The role of a SS
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 7/24/21 3:36pm Msg #633762
Even though it's probably too late by now, I'll have a go at addressing some of your issues, since no one else has directly. [The question of whether or not you can do this signing has been addressed - and you didn't say whether or not you are an attorney - so no comment there.]

You also didn't say who the company is, but what a ss does varies greatly from one to the next. The good ones nearly always have someone reachable to address unusual circumstances. I'm going to assume that those who try to get away with only paying $85 don't fall into that category. [I wouldn't know because I haven't worked for those types of companies in more than a decade.] Did you check them out before accepting/counter-offering their signing offer? Signing Central is a great place to start, but shouldn't be the only resource used. Even if you don't have time when the offer first comes in, do it ASAP once you receive the assignment and don't be afraid to turn it back (pronto!), if you don't like what you find out. [Consider the borrowers, and don't leave them hanging, so someone else can be found - even if it's with a different ss.]

Even the good ones, though, don't have time to review documents. That's the responsibility of the closing agent/escrow officer (and us, to a point), and they can make mistakes or get too busy sometimes. Nearly all the few signing services I work for include their client contact info in the documents and I've often contacted escrow/title directly when I've found issues. I'm also always careful to respect the ss's relationship with their clients (I copy them on emails), as it would be shooting myself in the foot otherwise. (It's also just unethical not to.)

As for whether or not to have the borrowers sign "Trustee" where indicated, I default to not when no instructions are available. These days, that's the most common response I get anyway. (I won't get into the implications of signing with or without...) As for replacement docs, if you're not sure, take the safe way out and get everything signed.

Your post explains why I don't bother replying to low-ball offers (especially the last paragraph), but everyone's situation is different... (I wouldn't do that signing with scan backs for $125.)
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 The role of a SS - Cheryl/SC on 7/24/21 1:42am
 Re: The role of a SS -  Cheryl Elliott on 7/24/21 8:15am
 Many SS are a PIA. They often just handle scheduling, and -  MW/VA on 7/24/21 9:15am
 MW/VA - telephone presence is acceptable n/m - Linda_H/FL on 7/24/21 9:29am
 Re: MW/VA - telephone presence is acceptable - Carolyn Bodley on 7/24/21 1:15pm
 Here's a state-by-state guidance ... -  Yoli/CA on 7/24/21 1:57pm
 From what I've read here and elsewhere I thought - Linda_H/FL on 7/24/21 2:25pm
 I've done some signing for SC properties here in VA. An -  MW/VA on 7/24/21 2:36pm
 SS is not the title company or lender - Luckydog on 7/24/21 3:18pm
 Re: The role of a SS -  JanetK_CA on 7/24/21 3:36pm
 Re: The role of a SS - Keisha1973 on 7/25/21 10:51pm
 Re: The role of a SS - Luckydog on 7/26/21 12:24pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.