Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Knee surgery, how long can I expect to be out of commission
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 8/3/21 10:41am Msg #634021
Be prepared to be off work at least 4 to 6 weeks if a complete knee replacement. Maybe longer depending on how hard you work at it.

I had two knee replacements 4 months apart and posted my recovery on leisure several years ago.

They have you walking immediately after surgery. You will be on pain killers round the clock the first week and off and on for up to six weeks. You need to be on pain killers to complete therapy or your knee just won't recover well and you will lose rotation. You will also need to repeat therapy on your own throughout the day during those weeks. Therapy is generally 3 weeks at home with a therapist and another 4 weeks at a therapy clinic. You will need a driver the first couple of weeks at least.

The pain killer drugs will prevent you from driving. Also, it is extremely hard to get in and out of the car during that time. You will more than likely get a handicap sticker for several months.

On the bright side, I was walking half a mile after a month or so, then working out at the gym after 6 weeks. I was still spending most of the day doing therapy exercises all day long. Plan on spending a lot of time working your knee or it won't be worth it as you will lose rotation.

I highly recommend getting a bench, a stationary bike, and some other therapy equipment for home. I still do some of my therapy routines every day to stay limber and walk 1-1/2 miles early each morning. Scar is maybe 8 inches long and nowadays they make patch it up nicely. After three years mine are slightly noticeable.

On the bright side, you will be able to stand up and walk again! Plan on some time off to heal and repair.

Best!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Knee surgery, how long can I expect to be out of commission - IAC on 8/2/21 1:59pm
 I haven't personally had knee surgery, but know several -  MW/VA on 8/2/21 2:06pm
 Re: I haven - MikeC/TX on 8/2/21 4:48pm
 Re: I haven - IAC on 8/2/21 5:23pm
 Re: Depends. Are you having total knee replacement? Scope? - Carolyn Bodley on 8/2/21 6:15pm
 Re: Knee surgery, how long can I expect to be out of commission - Bear900/CA on 8/3/21 10:41am
 Re: Sorry. Had only read caption before posting n/m - Carolyn Bodley on 8/3/21 1:01pm
 How long can I expect to be out of commission - Bear900/CA on 8/3/21 2:25pm
 Re: Knee surgery, how long can I expect to be out of commission - Luckydog on 8/3/21 7:50pm
 Also, if it's the right leg you won't be able to drive. n/m -  MW/VA on 8/4/21 10:07am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.