Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

CRITICAL ALERT ...
Posted by  Yoli/CA of CA on 9/26/21 3:55pm Msg #635383
(scam)
Did a search for definition of something. Clicked on page AND my screen froze with several tabs open and front page saying it was from Microsoft Windows Defender; serious male voice coming across saying "This is a CRITICAL ALERT. Your system has detected a trojan virus and you must call the number on your screen to clear your system of .... " It went on and on that virus may access my FB, bank accounts and whatever else is on my computer. It further said that if I closed the page now, my computer would be disabled. DAMN!! This went on and on and on. Finally, I called the number on my screen. Voice had an Indian accent. He said he would walk me through a series of keystrokes so he could access my computer. We had a very bad connection and I told him so. He reiterated about walking me through. Still a bad connection -- and I had a bad feeling. Told him I'd have to call back and hung up (not giving him a chance to say/do anything else).

I googled on my phone and found that Microsoft will NOT refer you to a phone number on the screen. <whew> They (scammers) almost had me!! I thought about it a bit and came to the conclusion that the worst that could happen would be that my computer crashed. Happened once before; didn't like it; but, oh well, maybe I'm due for a new computer. ;-( I did a control, alt, delete and deleted the Microsoft Edge task, returned to my other open windows without issue and opened another tab for usual portal. No problem.

BE CAREFUL!!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 CRITICAL ALERT ... -  Yoli/CA on 9/26/21 3:55pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... - Luckydog on 9/26/21 4:55pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... - Carolyn Bodley on 9/26/21 6:34pm
 Re: Here is link from several years ago - Carolyn Bodley on 9/26/21 6:46pm
 CTRL+ALT+DEL - Bear900/CA on 9/26/21 6:58pm
 Re: CTRL+ALT+DEL -  Yoli/CA on 9/27/21 8:13am
 Great tip. I've also been told to shut down your computer -  MW/VA on 9/27/21 8:35am
 Re: Great tip. I - Carolyn Bodley on 9/27/21 6:43pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/26/21 8:14pm
 Re: Wasn’t email n/m - Carolyn Bodley on 9/27/21 7:55am
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/27/21 9:30am
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... - Carolyn Bodley on 9/27/21 10:38am
 Thanks for the alert. These scammers are so clever. They -  MW/VA on 9/27/21 8:34am
 Re: Thanks for the alert. These scammers are so clever. They -  JanetK_CA on 9/27/21 2:20pm
 Re: Thanks for the alert. These scammers are so clever. They - Calnotary on 9/27/21 2:25pm
 I used Eset NOD2 for years. My tech guy told me not to pay -  MW/VA on 9/27/21 7:37pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... - Deborah Kemp on 9/27/21 2:18pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... -  Mike Goodey on 9/27/21 2:24pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... - MikeC/TX on 9/27/21 6:52pm
 Re: CRITICAL ALERT ... -  walthtz on 9/30/21 3:23pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.