Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: One of the columnists . . .
Posted by NK_UT of UT on 3/17/20 9:57pm Msg #73514
You seem to be more inclined to defend the media than to seek the unity that even the media personalities on your side are starting to say is more important that politicization.

I can't help but wonder what it is that drives someone to want to defend the media so much? I doubt you can answer this question yourself. Not trying to be mean, here. Really. But when I read your responses, your desperation to defend the media class is thick enough to act as blinders, making it impossible for you to see anything besides that. These people don't care about you. They have nothing but contempt for you and the rest of us. They think we are too stupid to look around and see the world. They think that they are somehow above criticism. And so do you, it appears.

Watching your responses reminds me of talking to Chinese who lived through the horrors of the cultural revolution, the great leap forward, and Tian An Men Square then completely shut down when these things are mentioned, instead robotically repeating party dogma.

I have noticed that your first response to criticism of the media is inevitably to deflect (as you did by mentioning the people you did in your post, as if they have anything to do with my comment). Following that, it's to mention something about Fox News. After that, it's to redirect by injecting things in that have nothing to do with the point at hand, but would cause defensive people to become distracted and lose the thread. Your mind seems incapable of comprehending that there are any sources of information outside the scope of the mainstream media.

It all reeks of a desperate attempt not to engage with the issue that you know, were you to engage with it directly, would give you no choice but to question your own assumptions. Not a comfortable thing.

Maybe it's a generational difference. You grew up with the talking heads on TV. When you were young, journalism was still an honorable trade filled with people who genuinely cared about reporting the truth. Now it's next to impossible for you to entertain the notion that they have all been taken over by special interests, and that the vast majority of those interests are aligned on one side. It also probably doesn't occur to you that your talking heads are paid to say the most outrage inducing things because traditional media (much like traditional notary work) is a dying industry. Their outrage-bate media is the only way for them to keep the lights on. It generates what my generation calls "rage clicks" or "rage views". It is a tactic employed to generate views that drives up advertising revenue.

My generation is shaped by the internet. My own world view is shaped by having spent my whole adult life up until 2019 living abroad. Incidentally, it's funny that before leaving the US, I was a hardcore democrat. I also watched CNN and MSNBC (and all the others) daily and thought Fox was nothing but right-wing propaganda. I still don't like Fox (except Tucker Carlson and a few other personalities). But that is for their commentary. As you said, Carlson isn't a journalist. But then again, he doesn't claim to be. Only far-left people trying to deflect arguments say that.

It's both sad and fascinating. I used to defend American critical thinking from the Chinese who would criticize it. Now, after seeing how they control their people through media manipulation, it's plain as day that the US MSM uses the same tactics here and the same level of cognitive dissonance exists in its viewers as in the example of old-timer communists I described above.

It's also somewhat hilarious how you didn't even engage with the main point of my post, which was depoliticization of the issue at hand, and immediately launched into rabbidly defending the media, followed by a defense of your politicization by saying what amounts to "b-b-b-b-but those REPUBLICANS!!"

That's called zealotry.

There DOES exist a whole world of information online. If you are internet savvy, it's not hard to determine what biases all of the different outlets have (both mainstream and independent, left and right), and find the truth floating around somewhere in the middle of it all.

P.S. Perhaps you should try not to be so easily offended. I mean. Come on! KUNGFLU?! That's hilarious!

My wife laughed when I told her that just now. She's Chinese. Maybe you should stop white-knighting for people who don't care about you.

[/rant]
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 One of the columnists . . . - HisHughness on 3/16/20 8:33pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - Luckydog on 3/17/20 10:01am
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - NK_UT on 3/17/20 5:21pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - MikeC/TX on 3/17/20 6:07pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - bagger on 3/17/20 8:12pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - MikeC/TX on 3/20/20 7:07pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - NK_UT on 3/17/20 9:57pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - MikeC/TX on 3/20/20 7:52pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - aanotary on 3/19/20 12:50am
 See post from March 12, 11:41 PM n/m - HisHughness on 3/17/20 8:58pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . -  JanetK_CA on 3/19/20 10:35pm
 I forgot to mention... -  JanetK_CA on 3/19/20 10:37pm
 Re: I forgot to mention... - bagger on 3/20/20 8:40am
 Re: I forgot to mention... - MikeC/TX on 3/21/20 5:58pm
 Re: I forgot to mention... - bagger on 3/20/20 10:57am
 Re: I forgot to mention... - Calnotary on 3/20/20 9:54pm
 Re: One of the columnists . . . - bagger on 3/20/20 7:49am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.