Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Thanks for posting this!
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/9/22 8:59pm Msg #80171
This is a very illuminating timeline of that day's events. I suspect we'll be hearing much more detail when the hearings by the Congressional committee investigating this go public.

I think the last couple of paragraphs of this essay do a great job of describing the real, true meaning of "American Exceptionalism".

As for Trump ever admitting that he lost the election, I don't think it's within his psychological make-up to do that. It's "Fixed Mindset" thinking, simply inconsistent with his self image and world view. I don't say this to criticize, but rather because I believe it's literally true. His entire life, he's been shielded from consequences of any actions on his part, so his reality is that he's he's a "really smart" man and that he's always right. (Just think of all the times he's stated as much.) In his mind, any failures or losses invalidate his entire understanding of who he is.

For insight into Trump's 'Fixed Mindset' (vs. a 'Growth Mindset'), I highly recommend Dr. Carol Dweck's book "Mindset", which was on the NT Times bestseller list for years. And/or just listen to this 10 min TED talk for a little flavor on the concept. It's fascinating stuff! (She mostly talks about the Growth Mindset, the positive side, but does give examples of Fixed Mindset behavior. The book offers a much greater understanding of both - along with info on studies she and her students/colleagues have done to draw these conclusions.)

http://www.ted.com/talks/carol_dweck_the_power_of_believing_that_you_can_improve

As you can probably imagine, the usefulness of this information goes way beyond this issue. (And the book was first published in 2006, so it's not about 1/6.)
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Do you believe in democracy? - sigtogo/OR on 1/7/22 4:51pm
 Re: Do you believe in democracy? - MikeC/TX on 1/7/22 6:15pm
 Re: Do you believe in democracy? - Luckydog on 1/9/22 9:17pm
 Re: Do you believe in democracy? - MikeC/TX on 1/10/22 6:48pm
 Re: Do you believe in democracy? - Luckydog on 1/11/22 10:33am
 Re: Do you believe in democracy? - bagger on 1/15/22 2:21pm
 Thanks for posting this! -  JanetK_CA on 1/9/22 8:59pm
 your welcome! love Ted Talks so will take a look! n/m - sigtogo/OR on 1/10/22 11:10pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.