Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: A must-watch, especially for parents...
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 6/15/22 5:56pm Msg #80967
I think there's a difference between simple security measures and "hardening" - what you've described is not what people on the right are suggesting, and quite frankly, I'm not sure it will work in schools. Are we really going to force kids to go through metal detectors every day? The whole idea of limiting a school to one door is insane - what happens if there's a fire? And by limiting access that way, you create a chokepoint that a shooter can easily take advantage of without even setting a foot into the school.

I'm not opposed to responsible gun ownership. What I am opposed to is people like the guy in the video who spent well over $1000 to buy an AR-15 plus various types of ammunition and decided to make videos of himself destroying a pork shoulder - and laughing about it. I personally know a guy who bought a tennis ball launcher that would mount on his AR-15. He had a grand time launching tennis balls with no idea where they were landing (he thought it was vacant land, but who knows). So to him, it was more of a toy than a weapon.

No civilian NEEDS an AR-15, just as no civilian NEEDS a magazine that will hold more than 10 rounds.- they WANT those things because they're cool (in their mind). Unless you're intending to take on a Mexican drug cartel single-handedly, they serve no purpose. These are not defensive weapons, they're offensive weapons. Need a gun to defend yourself and your family? A handgun would be more than enough.

Someone, PLEASE tell me why it's necessary for a civilian to own an assault weapon...

There are sensible and reasonable gun control laws that we should have:

Raise the age to purchase a semi-automatic weapon to 21.
Truly universal background checks (including private sales) that include juvenile records.
Mandatory gun safety training
Licencing and registration of all guns
Elimination of "straw man" purchasing
Elimination of "ghost guns" sold over the Internet.

That's for starters. No law-abiding citizen would have a problem with any of those hurdles, and their 2nd Amendment rights would not be infringed.

I would also support banning assault-type weapons such as the AR-15, as well as extended capacity magazines. We had a ban from 1994 through 2004 - it was not perfect, but mass shootings decreased while the law was in effect. They tripled once the ban was lifted, so we know that a ban will work.

I also don't subscribe to the idea that "Well, this is how it is and we can't do much about it." Nonsense - change may be difficult, but it's never impossible.

PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 A must-watch, especially for parents... - JanetK_CA on 6/12/22 1:50pm
 Follow-up for AFTER you've watched the video linked above -  JanetK_CA on 6/12/22 2:16pm
 Re: Follow-up for AFTER you - MikeC/TX on 6/12/22 6:29pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - shooterclay on 6/12/22 10:39pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - PaigeTurner on 6/14/22 2:10pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - MikeC/TX on 6/14/22 6:25pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... -  Amigoaz on 6/14/22 9:43pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - MikeC/TX on 6/15/22 5:56pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - PaigeTurner on 6/16/22 7:23am
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - MikeC/TX on 6/16/22 4:24pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - PaigeTurner on 6/16/22 6:49pm
 Re: A must-watch, especially for parents... - shooterclay on 6/17/22 11:14pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.