Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Yet another update on Santos
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/30/22 5:10pm Msg #82208
First, a correction. I said in a previouis post that it would take a 2/3 vote of the House to not seat him. That's not correct - he has to be seated. SCOTUS ruled in 1968 or1969 in a case involving another NY Representative who was denied seating due to ethics questions that the House's ability to discipline or remove its members is "post facto" - they have to be seated before they can be disciplined. Once they are seated the House, by a 2/3 vote, can remove them from office - but unless they resign first, they have to be seated before any action be taken against them.

I doubt that 2/3 of the House would vote to expel him, so unless he is shamed into resigning, he's a Congressman for the next 2 years. The leader of the Republican Party in Nassau County has already said he will not support Santos for re-election in 2024. The GOP leader in the House, as far as I know, has maintained radio silence.

Also, it turns out that someone WAS aware of Santos' questionable background prior to the election. A tiny local paper staffed by part-timers and only publishing once a week raised the alarm in
September - but no one listened. This article is from the Washington Post - I copied it as a gift, so you should have no trouble accessing it through their paywall:

http://wapo.st/3G4eBo3

PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Why are we just learning about George Santos now??? - MikeC/TX on 12/28/22 5:25pm
 Re: Why are we just learning about George Santos now??? - PaigeTurner on 12/28/22 6:16pm
 Re: Why are we just learning about George Santos now??? - MikeC/TX on 12/28/22 9:59pm
 Update - MikeC/TX on 12/29/22 5:57pm
 Re: Update - PaigeTurner on 12/29/22 10:20pm
 At this time, can anythng really be done? - Moneyman/TX on 12/29/22 10:55am
 Re: At this time, can anythng really be done? -  JanetK_CA on 12/29/22 7:27pm
 Re: At this time, can anythng really be done? - MikeC/TX on 12/29/22 10:53pm
 Re: Why are we just learning about George Santos now??? - SC/CA on 12/29/22 6:04pm
 Re: Why are we just learning about George Santos now??? - MikeC/TX on 12/29/22 7:08pm
 Yet another update on Santos - MikeC/TX on 12/30/22 5:10pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.