Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: lemon cukes and other stuff
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 9/5/18 11:29pm Msg #30560
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DMimMfi9P0PQ&ved=2ahUKEwitqffWuaXdAhVGmeAKHTw4BfMQwqsBMAB6BAgKEAU&usg=AOvVaw1xew1YkQ9A9nSqwWSnvKhW

It's one of those plants you can easily grow in a plastic bucket as seen in the video. I also grow pickle cucumbers but these are just easier and produce much more. They are crisp, don't have the large seeds typical in green cukes, and don't make you burp! I can't eat green cucumbers in a salad but these we both love.

I have a random sun gold tomato (small cherry size) that took it's place in the tomato trellis next to the heirlooms so I gave it space to grow. They are great in salads too. Add home-grown lettuce, spinach, arugula, endive, onions, radish, peppers...change it up however you want. Benefits of home-grown.

The other day we roasted and stuffed some large poblano peppers and smothered them in fresh salsa. How weird is that? We just have so many peppers! I grow everything for the salsa. I grow tge cilantro by seed in a pot. I could never eat raw jalapenos but now they are just medium (or less) heat to me.

I noticed today a random snap pea growing where they grew last winter so will cage that plant. One plant will provide snap peas all through the winter.

My wife harvests flower seeds and just re-seeded around the perimeter of the garden. Flowers bring in great garden helpers.

This year has been fantastic with all the bees, butterflies, lady bugs, hummingbirds, and a wide variety of fun to watch birds in the two bird baths. The big birds poke around for bugs and worms and now leave the strawberries alone. Possums have also left us alone.

I have one more in-home therapy visit and the young man got inspired with the garden. He started his two young sons with some basic pots to plant seed. It's a good time of year to plant garlic that requires winter cold. Grab a pot and get started growing something!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Winter garden is in! - Bear900/CA on 9/2/18 9:46pm
 I know you've already gone through knee replacements, but -  MW/VA on 9/3/18 6:53pm
 Pros and cons - Bear900/CA on 9/3/18 11:27pm
 Hard of think of winter, since it's still in the 90's here. n/m -  MW/VA on 9/3/18 6:53pm
 Re: Hard of think of winter, since it -  Claudine Osborne on 9/3/18 8:16pm
 Re: Hard of think of winter, since it - Bear900/CA on 9/3/18 11:45pm
 Re: Hard of think of winter, since it -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/5/18 7:40am
 Re: Winter garden is in! - NVLSlady/VA on 9/5/18 9:11pm
 Re: lemon cukes and other stuff - Bear900/CA on 9/5/18 11:29pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.