Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: I can see clearly now...
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 4/28/19 7:05pm Msg #31100
In my case, my cataracts (both eyes) were likely either caused or exacerbated by a steroid I took for over a year as part of treatment for multiple myeloma - dexamethasone. When I mentioned my failing vision to my oncologist, she said: "That's probably the dex - it's been known to do that."

And she didn't think I should know about that in advance? It was bad enough that the dex had me totally wired on the days I had to take it. Here I'm thinking I'm going blind to the point where driving was starting to be a problem... I did some research on the drug, and sure enough, cataracts are a known side effect. The ophthalmologist I went to, after reviewing my medications, confirmed that this was probably the cause, especially since they grew so quickly.

These days, I wear sunglasses whenever I'm outdoors during the day - even on cloudy days. Since the cataract surgery, my eyes have been very sensitive to light. I'm not sure that exposure to sunlight can cause cataracts - most of what I've read is that it's a function of age, and that we all eventually have the "seeds" of cataracts which may or may not grow. Cataracts are an organic process - something is growing on the lens of the eye. Not sure what causes it to grow, but the good news is that it can quckly and easily be corrected.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 I can see clearly now... -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/27/19 10:36am
 I'm amazed by now many people I know that put if off--why?? -  MW/VA on 4/27/19 6:04pm
 Re: I can see clearly now... -  JanetK_CA on 4/27/19 11:19pm
 Re: I can see clearly now... - HisHughness on 4/28/19 2:01pm
 I completely agree with the use of sunglasses (polarized). -  MW/VA on 4/28/19 2:55pm
 Re: I can see clearly now... - MikeC/TX on 4/28/19 7:05pm
 Ocular melanoma is caused by UV sun exposure -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/3/19 7:46am
 Re: I can see clearly now... - MikeC/TX on 4/28/19 6:25pm
 Lenses and laser technology is fabulous for many -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/29/19 1:13pm
 So glad you're doing great with the eye surgery. Eyesight -  MW/VA on 4/30/19 8:54am
 I made the investment because my general health is great -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/1/19 10:58am
 Absolutely! ;-) n/m -  MW/VA on 5/1/19 4:40pm
 Re: I can see clearly now... - NVLSlady/VA on 5/6/19 12:47pm
 Re: I can see clearly now... oops, s/b ;) - NVLSlady/VA on 5/6/19 12:49pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.