Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #598840

4 replies
E-notarizations dubious for mail-in situations
By  VT_Syrup on 9/24/18 7:09pm

In an earlier post, someone asked for suggestions about how to get a CA birth certificate when the poster had lost all his/her ID. One of the suggestions was to use remote notarization. Leaving aside whether the remote notarization suggestion was advertising, or whether the original post was sincere, or just a set-up for the advertising, a fundamental problem with remote notarization was not mentioned.

When an agency, such as the CA Department of Public Health, requires mail-in documents, such documents obviously will be paper documents. Traditionally, it's been understood that when a notarized document is requested, an original document with a hand-written ink signature by the principal and the notary is expected. But the result of a remote notarization is an electronic file. Most agencies haven't thought to specify whether a printout of an electronic file would be accepted.

Indeed, most agencies probably haven't thought to create a policy on this point. So even if the principal calls and asks, the person who answers the phone may refuse to give any useful answer ("you'll have to ask your personal attorney about that") or the call-taker might say "that should be OK" but the person who processes the order may reject the printout.

Msg #598833

15 replies
*THIS IS A SELLER ONLY CLOSING WITH FAXBACKS THAT IS ROUGHLY
By grapebed on 9/24/18 3:29pm

25-35 PAGES. OUR FEE IS $40.00.

Signing location is 44 miles from my home. Huh? R u kidding me? This email went straight to trash. I asked the SS ( The Closing Group) to please not contact me again.

Msg #598832

0 replies
How to find out if a signing co/ Title co. are out of bus.
By Susan/CA on 9/24/18 1:43pm

I remember in years past there was mention of putting up a list of signing companies that are out of business, closed their doors, gave up. I know in our current environment we are soon to see many, many companies close their doors. Hopefully they will pay their notaries before doing so, however, as we all know that isn't always the case. It will be helpful for all of us to know of each company who are in trouble (I suspect many already are). I know we have "signing central" however, do any of you have a suggestion on how to get immediate info on a company who's out of business? Thanks in Advance!

Msg #598820

5 replies
Page Separator
By Laura Wagner on 9/24/18 11:21am

I have a Brother dual tray and usually click to print as layed out in PDF but was just looking at Page Separator Pro - any thoughts?

Msg #598791

7 replies
update
By Liz Chase-VonDemfange on 9/22/18 8:32pm

I have decided not to return to notary/signing agent work.
9/22/2018

Msg #598783

11 replies
Does anyone use software to track your assignments?
By Francis X Daly on 9/22/18 12:59pm

If so please let me know what you are using and how it is working for you.

Msg #598777

2 replies
Widmer Closing Services, Ohio
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/22/18 8:57am

Any new info on Gary Widmer? We need to get him added to SC...I'll let NR know...

Msg #598772

1 replies
Signed a REFI with a Virtual Assistant yesterday
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/22/18 8:33am

Well, I've only known one other Virtual Assistant in my career, and that was Marian Harmon.

This lady is VA to a prominent vital health product promoter down in LA. She's going gang busters, has a facebook page, living very remotely on a lake resort property in Central CA Coast. She's making bank. I'll take her to lunch one day and pick her brain. One of the products is to reduce inflammation in joints. Her husband just had both knees replaced, but one was still popping. This product completely made this go away.

Keep you posted.

Meanwhile, I've been looking into becoming a VA to a national investment real estate professional as his transaction coordinator, and I won't have to give up working for my five star clients.

Msg #598767

4 replies
Scam artists abounding...let's FIGHT BACK!
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/22/18 8:02am

This training scam operation out of St. Petersburg, FL took advantage of a new notary charging between $500 and $600 for certification and training that would get her six figures in no time at all. This individual is a loan officer, whose pipeline is completely dry of new loans and figured it would be a good idea to become a notary to earn some good money she gets some new business in the fourth quarter before interest rates start climbing.

I explained that this training and certification means diddly squat in the real world and where to get certification that is recognized by major lenders and title companies. She is working with her bank to get her money back, but since she used her debit card, well, it may not be possible.

How do we get the word out about these scam artists? I get a couple calls/emails a month about these people, so they are making a decent living scamming unsuspecting people.
Clearly, many people are susceptible to liars, cheats and crooksters. There is no stopping these companies from scamming newbies.

IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT USUALLY IS. We need to stay on our toes...lots of scams out there these days. I'm getting so many "opportunities" via mail, email and texts to separate me from the money in my wallet, it's ridiculous...Remember the series by David Horowitz, "FIGHT BACK", well I wish we could call David out of retirement and go after these deadbeats, opportunistic signing services and training systems.

Msg #598753

9 replies
OD brand letter paper @ $29.99/10 ream case 'til tomorrow. n/m
By JanetK_CA on 9/21/18 6:09pm

Msg #598744

17 replies
To my CA NSA's..... eClosings heating up....
By  Pamela/CA on 9/21/18 2:12pm

Haven't been reading forum in few months, so maybe someone already posted this.

For those of us working for Amrock AND have passed Skillo, the Rock sent out Pavaso sign ups about a month ago and I ignored mine... Just got a call from management today asking that I please set up the Pavaso. Here's what I want you to know: The Pavaso Terms that we must agree to, says that we are responsible for fees, charges, when using and must provide a cc after accepting terms.
I immediately emailed Rock mgt and asked them to send a reply saying that I would be at NO COST for doing the eClosings. They did that, Plus told me after I accept Pavaso terms, IF a drop down box appears, I should open it and choose Amrock as my payor.

The Good News is, Pavaso must have corrected this already, because when I accepted the terms... It opened into a box to set up my eClosing user name and password, then took me to my eClosings job site! Looks great.

Msg #598737

14 replies
Signing Scream
By schlub/NC on 9/21/18 12:50pm

I foolishly took an assignment from them in July.

Last week, in the aftermath of a hurricane and in the midst of an 8-day power outage, they called me wanting to renegotiate the fee. I lost my temper, but was mostly mad at myself. I knew they would try this as I saw some others on here talk about it. I took the signing in a weak moment when I didn't have anything else going on. I figured I'd probably get paid eventually.

The pitch is so dumb, "I just heard form the 'accounting department' and we really didn't make any money on this signing. Can you help us out and take a lower fee? We've got lots of business to send your way if you can work with us".

Does anyone agree to take a lower fee? They must laugh their butts off when they find a sucker big enough to take their signing and then agree to a lower fee. (I'm sure some of you are laughing your butts off at me for taking the assignment at all, but that's ok.)

Msg #598736

1 replies
Loan-Closers.com
By schlub/NC on 9/21/18 12:45pm

I've done quite a few signings for them and haven't had any problems. I am waiting on payment for one that is over 70 days (they usually pay in 40 days) and I'm not getting any responses. Any idea what's going on with them?

Msg #598727

26 replies
Please! I need help/advice w/ VitalRecords notarization (CA)
By Bryan Keleman on 9/21/18 1:57am

Hello!

I've been scouring the internet for answers and have just about lost my mind. I'm sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place but I'm so terrified and I don't know where else to reach out to. I've contacted so many government agencies and noone seems to have an answer for me...

The long and short of my story is that I recently moved from California to Seattle. During the move and my time here I lost my wallet and ID along with my social security card and my original birth certificate. Basically I have no identity anymore. The first step to getting my life back is a birth certificate from my hospital in California. I've been using Vitalchek to attempt to acquire it but California law states that I require a notary to notarize my request and confirm my identity.

I feel like I'm slipping through the cracks in the legal system; because for a notary to notarize my request they have to confirm my identification by seeing a legal ID. But I don't have a legal ID because I can't acquire my birth certificate. And I can't acquire my birth certificate because a notary needs to confirm my ID. It feels like I'm caught in a hopeless circle and I've never been so scared.

My parents unfortunately passed away so they can't request a new copy on my behalf. I can provide scanned copies of my California ID and Social Security card along with tax documents, a w-2 from my employer and potentially an old college ID. But I have no other proof that claims who I am. Reading about notary laws I understand that witnesses are a thing and I have many friends and co-workers that can confirm my identity but again, I'm just a layman and don't know if any of this "evidence" is enough for a notary to confirm my identification.

I'm hoping there's a superhero in these forums that can help me navigate this. I'm so confused and completely out of answers. Can somebody help me? I'd be so so so thankful for any information that you could provide.

Thank you!

Msg #598713

7 replies
Phishing
By Clem/CA on 9/20/18 4:04pm

Got an email from "Merrrittsvcinc.com" return address was wright709@aol.com no match. Body said "Please view the attached property contract. Review and let me know of any necessary corrections" I don't have anything going on with them.. I did open the pdf file. it had a link from "First American Title" with an expiration date of 2018-01-18 LOL right. the link was connected to gannafree.com ... looks like a music streaming service.... did not click that link as that was enough BS DELETE

Msg #598707

2 replies
Do you think this is a joke?
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/20/18 1:46pm

I received a call yesterday and today from an LA-based company, BS Financial...so I'm wondering if I'm being "BS'd".

Maybe it's the fall weather, when I begin to feel hibernation coming on. Wanted me to be available for a signing in less than an hour. I just can't always be that responsive.

Any of you getting these calls?

Msg #598705

2 replies
your getting better mobilenotary.com
By Mobile1/PA on 9/20/18 12:22pm

$70 for a refinance closing. Past up Signing Stream's $55 and Notary Go's $60.

Msg #598704

2 replies
Things I wonder about...
By Lee/AR on 9/20/18 12:09pm

Call for a last minute 'right now' signing; you quote a fair fee; they spend another hour trying to find someone cheaper, then get upset when other commitments prevent you from taking this 'right now' one that's already an hour later. My time machine's in the shop for repair.

Msg #598699

5 replies
Superior Notary Services – Payment Method
By Clay Mason on 9/20/18 10:45am

Due to the overwhelming amount of recent check fraud committed against our accounts, Superior Notary Services is being forced to stop the practice of issuing e-checks and paper checks. Effective October 15, 2018, all payments will be made via ACH/Direct Deposit. In order to issue ACH payments to you, we will need to receive a signed and completed form prior to this date. The form can be downloaded from our site at: https://www.superiornotaryservices.com/account_services.html. If you have already submitted this information, there is no need to submit it again.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, but we cannot continue to allow the actions of a few bad actors to take advantage of our payment methods. Please know that we are doing everything in our power to weed these individuals out of our industry. Anyone cashing or depositing a check more than once has been deactivated from our database. We have also shared their information with SnapDocs and the other services using the SnapDocs platform. Complaints have been filed with the local authorities and the Secretary of State for each notary involved in this practice.

If you have any questions or concerns about this matter, please feel free to contact Kristina in our accounting department at 214-299-5001 or kristina at superiornotaryservices.com.

Msg #598693

0 replies
Progressive hit a new low
By Louisiana33 on 9/20/18 8:41am

I have not heard from that company in forever. They send me a text offering $50 refi with faxbacks! I ignored but I know the person who "won the prize". I told them that after mileage,time,supplies, etc., there would be little if any profit. That is insulting to even offer $50 closings. I never thought I would see anyone go lower than NotaryGo, but never say never.....

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.