Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live
Msg #598986

4 replies
TC requiring copy of notary's commission AND ID ...
By Yoli/CA on 9/29/18 11:46am

BancServ mobile app sent out offer at about 8 pm last night for Monday morning signing. I like working with them as they always meet my fee and pay twice a month so I readily accepted. 15 minutes later, I get my confirmation and read the TC instructions. Well! Not only are they requiring copies of 2 pieces of ID from borrower, they also require copy of notary's driver's license and commission.

Keeping in mind that BancServ has all my credentials, including driver's license, and thinking maybe I was misunderstanding, I emailed EO (thinking probably wouldn't get reply 'til Monday morning). EO responded with docs which included TC's written instructions requiring copy of 2 IDs for borrower(s) and notary.

Okay, I have no problem complying with this requirement. It's just a first for me. Anyone else? This is a TC in Las Vegas, NV.

Msg #598982

2 replies
New CA regulation signed toward preventing hacking of
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/29/18 10:44am

mobile phones, televisions, etc. by CA's Governor Brown authored by Senator Hannah Beth Jackson/SB

Governor Brown Signs SB 327
Sep 29 2018 08:00 AM
byEdhat Staff
0 Comments
Reads 68

Source: State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson

Governor Jerry Brown signed legislation today by Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara) to require manufacturers of internet connected consumer devices -- such as wireless routers, televisions, and mobile phones -- to equip these devices with reasonable security features, such as detecting potential hackers or the ability to change passwords.

SB 327 creates a common sense security requirement for internet connected devices that can evolve as technology evolves. Mirroring a provision in California’s Data Breach Law, this bill requires manufacturers to equip consumer “smart” devices with reasonable security features appropriate to the nature of the device and the information it collects. Equipped with reasonable security features, these devices will better protect sensitive consumer information – like location history and web browsing patterns – from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure.

“The lack of basic security features on internet connected devices undermines the privacy and security of California’s consumers, and allows hackers to turn everyday consumer electronics against us,” said Senator Jackson. “SB 327 ensures that technology serves the people of California, and that security is not an afterthought but rather a key component of the design process.”

Consumer devices that connect to the internet have moved well beyond the traditional desktop PC and now include a wide variety of consumer electronics, such as microwaves, refrigerators, and children’s toys. While internet connectivity may increase the functionality of these products, many consumers are unaware or only vaguely aware of the security risks that come with using connected devices, leading them to unwittingly put sensitive information at risk.

An alarming number of internet connected devices lack even the most basic security features, rendering them vulnerable to hacking and coordinated cyberattacks. These attacks have been directed at critical infrastructure, such as the state’s 911 telephone system. SB 327 will protect consumers from these security risks by ensuring consumer protection is a key component of the design process and not an afterthought.

The bill goes into effect on January 1, 2020.

I've been hacked so many times in the last few years, it's frustrating and beyond crazy. It's more and more challenging to stay ahead of these illegal infiltrators. Most recently, I was hacked by a Phillipine based group.

Msg #598974

12 replies
US Patriot Act Form and POA situation
By Luckydog on 9/29/18 1:31am

Situation: Loan docs closing at title, 2 signer's- one signer is signing POA for missing person, and signing for herself. 2 Patriot Act forms, only 1 form of ID required for each individual. I fill in for her, but do not fill in for missing person, return it blank. In the package was presented a photocopy of missing person's DL, very light and barley legible.

Do you accept a photo copy of the missing borrower's ID and fill out a Patriot Act form on that person from that photocopied DL and sign it?...Or do you leave it blank, return it, and let the Settlement agent fill it in since you personally have NOT viewed an original DL?

The Patriot Act clearly states "I certify that I have personally viewed and accurately recorded the information from the documents identified above, and have reasonably confirmed the identity of the Borrower."

Just curious as what you do? I did not sign this as I did not see the DL in person. Other notary's same office all sign this, and I was the first one to contest this.

What would you do?

Msg #598965

5 replies
First time of a different kind...Trusting....
By Alz on 9/28/18 8:06pm

The other day I was asked by a new attorney client, to notarize documents for two different clients. The appointments were to be an hour apart; however, the latter appointment was push back by an hour.

Upon my arrival to the second assignment, the attorney handed me a blank check that was signed by him with my business name listed on the “Pay To The Order Of” line. Mind you, there was also a yellow sticky/posted note with the amounts to be entered for both clients, in addition to a total. After walking into the conference room, he told me to put the yellow sticky/posted note on his assistance desk before I leave.

Needless to say, I was little speechless. Especially because I had only work with him once prior.

What do you professionals think about this?

Msg #598948

5 replies
Immigration papers
By  GQ/Orlando on 9/28/18 11:54am

Are we supposed to help folks with immigration papers?

Didnt I read somewhere that notaries were not supposed to work on those?

Msg #598947

0 replies
Daniel Plainview in St. Petersburg, FL is a fake person
By  Cheryl Elliott on 9/28/18 11:54am

If you all recall the acclaimed academy award winning movie featuring Daniel Day Lewis, entitled "There Will Be Blood". The trainer who is training and certifying notaries for Signing Professionals of America in St. Petersburg calls himself Daniel Plainview.

I've had three emails from notaries down in Arizona telling me how they've been swindled by this company for a bogus certification program with SPA.

Spread the word. This certification carries no weight in our industry at all.

Msg #598944

14 replies
time....so much emphasis on how long it takes
By notarydi/CA on 9/28/18 9:19am

to do a signing these days. Everyone lately it seems wants it done fast, fast and scanned back. And, why did it take so long?

well, it took so long because your signer was paralyzed from a stroke on her right side. Her right hand was withered and frozen and signing 135 pages was a tedious process for her.

well, it took so long because your signer is buying a property out of state and actually wants to READ what he is signing. And, he just had knee replacement surgery. Not a table in the house (they're moving out of state), so, he wants to stand at the bar (6 " wide) and sign. And, then because his knee is now hurting him....wants to take a break and sit down for a bit.

I don't think sometimes people realize what we have to deal with when signing in someone's home. We don't always have a nice table, quiet office to conduct the signing. We are flexible and roll with the punches. Sometimes our signers are struggling with a disability. And, here's a thought sometimes they actually want to READ what they are signing. Sometimes they just want to take a break.

just venting.......

Msg #598927

7 replies
Non English speaking signer
By DFZei on 9/27/18 7:01pm

I have an assignment to notarize a document in English, but the signer does not speak English. I am in Michigan, and can not find an answer in my Notary Primer. Thanks

Msg #598917

20 replies
AMROCK
By  Greg Wilson on 9/27/18 3:37pm

I haven't seen a new signing from AMROCK for about a month and I wonder if this is also the experience of other notaries who do signings for them? I talked to AMROCK Partner Management three weeks ago. Their explanation is that high interest rates have dried up the refi. market until at least the first of the year.

Msg #598901

4 replies
Back ground check
By HSH/WA on 9/27/18 10:46am

I used USA BGC for Service Link thinking I could provide the link to the BGC for all my other lenders. The link expired within 30 days and they have not responded to my calls or emails to reinstate the link. So, now I have to pay for another BGC for my other lenders. I hope this info will be helpful to other notaries.

Msg #598900

13 replies
What do you guys think about this?
By Sue on 9/27/18 10:37am

I received an assignment for tomorrow morning for a seller package on a TX property. (Been doing alot of these lately). The strange thing is that the contact phone number is for the daughter of an elderly woman.(70; not that elderly when you are looking at 60; JMO) ;-)

When I called to confirm with the signer, turns out the number was the cell phone for the daughter. I said since she is not signing the documents I need to speak to Jennifer to confirm. She actually told me her mother "wouldn't understand" since she had not told her they were signing documents for the sale of her TX property. What is even more disturbing is that when I called the title company they admitted they have been dealing with the Daughter...what the **?

Msg #598890

7 replies
I had a strange request today
By  MonicaFL on 9/26/18 10:30pm

from a realty company. To make things short, there was a document that needed a witness and evidently it was one that I could be a witness on, BUT there was ONLY A HALF OF A NOTARY STATEMENT ON THAT PAGE and they wanted me to put my seal on that page. Told them I could attach an acknowledgement or Jurat which ever they wanted and could put my seal on THAT page but not on a page where only half of the notary statement was written . They said that Georgia wouldn't record it if the seal was on the first page. Solution: change the font and put the WHOLE notary statement on the first page then I could put my seal. Has anyone else been ever asked to do this?

Msg #598884

2 replies
E-signing ...
By Yoli/CA on 9/26/18 9:52pm

for early tomorrow morning. Didn't know it was an e-signing until I received docs and started prepping and ran across a doc about it being an e-signing. Immediately called TC to inquire and was told borrowers had already done the electronic portion of the signing and I was just accommodating the wet sign portion. [Wondered why package was only 67 pages]

This is a split signing, no scan backs for me (2nd notary will have to scan back) and TC is paying full fee.

Now this is the way hybrids should be done! IMO. Smile

Msg #598881

21 replies
First Signing
By ChosenNSA on 9/26/18 9:33pm

Good Evening, I received a call today from a person seeking a notary for paperwork on her home sale. She would like to meet tomorrow to have as she stated, "less than 10 pages" requiring notarization in the package. She offered to scan a copy of the documents so that I can review it before signing. She also stated that she has a POA because her husband is out of the country.

How should I handle this? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. State of Texas

Msg #598877

0 replies
A minor downside of GNW, & why we need to know our stuff!
By JanetK_CA on 9/26/18 7:08pm

I got a call this afternoon from a guy at a funeral home (with a decedent's attorney present) who was rambling on about an Advanced Health Care Directive (for CA) I witnessed more than 2 years ago and supposedly "missed a line" and can I go to his office and fix it...

That made no sense to me, so I asked him to clarify. Turns out he was talking about the section where one of the witnesses has to sign that they have no beneficial interest, are not related, etc. When I sign as witness only to an AHD (which I would only do if I'm there to notarize something), I generally sign as the 2nd witness. I have the person acting as first witness sign off on that section that involves any additional assurances, and that's what I told the guy. He then tells me that the attorney claims I didn't notarize it, either. I explained that is very possible because an AHD usually asks for *either* 2 witnesses OR a notarization and I'm not the one who makes that decision.

I promised to call him back when I got to my office and had a chance to check my journal. Sure enough, I had notarized several documents for the decedent on the date the document was signed, but no AHD. Fortunately, by then they had located the guy who was the first witness and figured out a solution that didn't involve me.

Just for the record, I think that if they hadn't located the other witness, I would probably be willing to sign off on that statement (based on proof in my journal that I did meet with him on the specified date - 'cause I sure don't remember), but I probably would have negotiated some fee for my time and travel, unless they were very flexible on the time and I was going to be nearby anyway.

Not nearly as interesting as someone going into labor during a signing Wink but one more example of the crazy questions we get from people who don't know what they're talking about - and why we should! We just never know what we're going to get pulled into next. If I wasn't familiar with AHD documents and requirements, this could have been a major headache.

Msg #598868

5 replies
It's a girl!
By Yoli/CA on 9/26/18 10:32am

Have a signing scheduled for 10:00 this morning with a 40-minute drive and 3 signers involved. This was scheduled 2 days ago with a new-to-me TC. Docs received that same day. (Yay!!)

Got a call from one of the signers this morning. His wife (another signer) gave birth this morning -- IT'S A GIRL! -- and they were wondering if they could impose on me to meet with them at the hospital instead (same time). No problem. Now it's only a 15-minute drive.

Hey, what can I say! We aim to accommodate. Wink

Msg #598865

3 replies
Printer DPI setting
By  GQ/Orlando on 9/26/18 9:52am

Hi

I been printing all my Docs @ 600 DPI. Have I been wasting Toner?

Is 300 DPI good enough?

Msg #598853

4 replies
Premier Lender Services, Irvine, CA
By Robin/CA on 9/25/18 11:08am

I accepted a signing from them on July 2 for a RM and still have not received payment. They have a 4* rating in Signing Central and mostly positive comments, except for the last few. I have sent emails left messages, spoke with Reena, who said she gave Accounting Dept. (which is her boss) the message but there is nothing else she can do.

Has anyone had any recent work from them?

Msg #598848

0 replies
KY-ID Some preliminary info on new design
By  Linda_in_IN on 9/25/18 9:41am

Article in today's Lexington Herald newspaper. Doesn't have a lot of specifics, but does give some general information on the new design.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article218920750.html

Msg #598840

4 replies
E-notarizations dubious for mail-in situations
By  VT_Syrup on 9/24/18 7:09pm

In an earlier post, someone asked for suggestions about how to get a CA birth certificate when the poster had lost all his/her ID. One of the suggestions was to use remote notarization. Leaving aside whether the remote notarization suggestion was advertising, or whether the original post was sincere, or just a set-up for the advertising, a fundamental problem with remote notarization was not mentioned.

When an agency, such as the CA Department of Public Health, requires mail-in documents, such documents obviously will be paper documents. Traditionally, it's been understood that when a notarized document is requested, an original document with a hand-written ink signature by the principal and the notary is expected. But the result of a remote notarization is an electronic file. Most agencies haven't thought to specify whether a printout of an electronic file would be accepted.

Indeed, most agencies probably haven't thought to create a policy on this point. So even if the principal calls and asks, the person who answers the phone may refuse to give any useful answer ("you'll have to ask your personal attorney about that") or the call-taker might say "that should be OK" but the person who processes the order may reject the printout.

PrevNextFirstLastNew MsgSearchThreaded ViewTopics ViewLinear View  Notary Talk Live

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.