Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: The loopier the better
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 8/31/14 11:47am Msg #514453
I am not convinced there are any legal requirements for most signatures. A consistent style for one's signature is a useful security practice, just as signing in pen rather than pencil is a good idea. But I am not convinced it is a legal requirement.

A bizzare example of what I presume is a legal signature. This example has only been used in exercises, but I presume it would be valid if it ever happened for real. There is a (simulated) emergency at the Vermont Yankee nuclear plant. The governor goes to the state emergency operations center, about 130 miles away in Waterbury. Although the state has a radio network, it doesn't always work that far; more consistent results have been obtained with ham radio. The ham operator in Waterbury would be handed a written declaration of a state of emergency, signed by the governor. It would be relayed by voice radio to an operations center near the nuclear plant, and written down by another ham operator. It would be considered a telegram, and telegrams have been considered by the courts to be signed writings for more than 100 years.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 What's in a signture - RickG/CA on 8/30/14 10:47am
 Fascinating question and subject - BearPaw/CO on 8/30/14 11:17am
 a few weeks back @ a closing - Ireneky on 8/30/14 12:25pm
 The loopier the better - BearPaw/CO on 8/30/14 12:37pm
 Re: The loopier the better -  JanetK_CA on 8/31/14 2:24am
 Re: The loopier the better -  VT_Syrup on 8/31/14 11:47am
 Re: What[Harry please allow apostrophes]s in a signature -  VT_Syrup on 8/31/14 11:28am
 Re: What - Art_MD on 9/1/14 8:15am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.